Vibration at highway speeds

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ReaperHWK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have a new to me 2015 Tahoe LTZ with 104k miles. All seems well but I have noticed(this is my second day of ownership) that at speed it feels like a slight vibration in the drivetrain. Almost feels like a driveshaft u joint or a slight out of balance wheel. It’s minor enough that my wife doesn’t even notice but I can. I was just about to go check the driveshaft and if that checked out ok wait for new tires(soon) then have all the tires road force balanced and possibly an alignment. I started reading some posts and see people mention “buffeting” and vibrations. Is this common? Looks like the definition of buffeting is air pressure in cabin with all windows up I definitely don’t have that. Is there any common drivetrain vibe issues?

What is the common fix for this. Seems to me though the engine and trans are solid though.

would be nice to be given areas to look for instead of shotgunning the problem. Thanks

Last edited:

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have a new to me 2015 Tahoe LTZ with 104k miles. All seems well but I have noticed(this is my second day of ownership) that at speed it feels like a slight vibration in the drivetrain. Almost feels like a driveshaft u joint or a slight out of balance wheel. I was just about to go check the driveshaft and then have all the tires road force balanced and possibly an alignment. I started reading some posts and see people mention “buffeting” and vibrations. Is this common?

What is the common fix for this. Seems to me though the engine and trans are solid though.

would be nice to be given areas to look for instead of shotgunning the problem. Thanks
Welcome to the forum from Iowa.

The buffeting that folks describe have more to do with the roof panel flexing I believe, causing the air pressure in the cabin to go up and down. Never experienced it my self, so take what I say with a grain of salt. That being said, I think you’re on the right track thinking of tires and such. Quickest and most likely cause is a tire out of balance so get them checked. Next might be the alignment. Might have that looked at also since you might as well have a known good starting point since the vehicle is new to you. After those two things are done, if the vibration is still there, then you can start looking at other things, but get the easy things done that will also help extend the life of your tires.

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have a new to me 2015 Tahoe LTZ with 104k miles. All seems well but I have noticed(this is my second day of ownership) that at speed it feels like a slight vibration in the drivetrain. Almost feels like a driveshaft u joint or a slight out of balance wheel. It’s minor enough that my wife doesn’t even notice but I can. I was just about to go check the driveshaft and if that checked out ok wait for new tires(soon) then have all the tires road force balanced and possibly an alignment. I started reading some posts and see people mention “buffeting” and vibrations. Is this common? Looks like the definition of buffeting is air pressure in cabin with all windows up I definitely don’t have that. Is there any common drivetrain vibe issues?

I had similar vibration. Had my tires [Michelin Defenders] road forced and all was good after that. That was at 40K miles and now have 94K miles.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

There are some videos of 2015 owner's with the new rear axle where the axle flanges were out of round, they had to get new axle shaft(s) to cure the vibrations. Go for a basic balancing even if the tech has to move the tire on the wheel to a different position.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
While it is always good to align any vehicle that is new to you, the alignment will not cause a vibration unless the alignment is out and has caused tire wear problems or it has too much caster lead. Are ALL the tires smooth on the tread from one side to the other and do they show any abnormal wear on the edges or scalloped tread that shows a feathering? Do you feel the vibes in the seat of your pants or in the front floorboard under your feet or in the steering wheel?

OP
OP
ReaperHWK

ReaperHWK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While it is always good to align any vehicle that is new to you, the alignment will not cause a vibration unless the alignment is out and has caused tire wear problems or it has too much caster lead. Are ALL the tires smooth on the tread from one side to the other and do they show any abnormal wear on the edges or scalloped tread that shows a feathering? Do you feel the vibes in the seat of your pants or in the front floorboard under your feet or in the steering wheel?

I have the carfax, the car had an alignment last year(5/13/2019). Also, the tires were rotated a few times per schedule but it hasn't had new tires/balancing in a long while. I am betting that is it.

And the truck drives straight as an arrow, and there is no vibrations in the steering wheel. It feels like the vibe is from the rear tires or drivetrain, the whole truck has a slight vibe. To me it feels like a rear tire, and/or a bad driveshaft u-joint(had this in an old F150 and it started with a slight driveline vibe that felt similar to this Tahoe). On the carfax though it has driveshaft checked on 8/31/20 along with tons of other stuff(brakes, fuel system, blah blah).

Also the last time any tires were touched(in regards to balanced/replaced) was in 10/2016 when they mounted and balanced only 2 tires(at that time truck had 50k miles, now has 104k). The other 2 tires are older then that probably with over 60-70k miles on them.

I'll inspect the tires really good, but I'm hesitant right now to pay for all the wheels to get pulled and road force balanced when these tires have not that much tread left, might was well get some new tires soon! But yeah I think that's it.......

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
If you can, move the front tires to rear and vice versa and see if the vibes follow the rear tires to the front. Plus, how many miles since the alignment was done? I have also seen a vehicle steer straight but still cause a tire wear. Having the existing alignment readings would be nice but I understand that you do not.

Almanor

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just went through this with my 2016...I thought I might be losing a bearing or threw a wheel weight...or drivetrain.

On a Road trip 2 weeks ago I started to feel a shake at about 80 mph...then progressed over 1000 miles to 77mph. Friggin Goodyear tires were getting out round. I had them rebalanced on the road...they were fine for a few miles...then crap.

went and bought some Michelin as people here recommended...problem solved.

greenhornet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2015 Tahoe LS 4wd.It has a vibration that starts at 65 km. up to 90K m/hr.It has done the exact same vibration on Goodyears,Nokian and my new balanced Michelin Defenders.All wheels have been road force balanced.At 100Km/hr it is dead smooth up to 125 km/hr.Brakes are new tires are balanced.You only feel it through the steering wheel and the body slightly if you put your hand in something solid, regardless of gear or RPM.Passengers do not feel it, but for sure it comes from the front drive train,rear area is smooth and solid feel,no vibration .Just guessing maybe axle shafts or front drive shaft.Slowing down or accelerating does not change when it happens.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomase1269