Very weird intellilink/radio issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joshgbaby

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2015 Yukon XL Denali, 98k miles. When starting the car, the intellilink screen is blank, no camera, no radio, anything. Even the trim lights around the radio buttons are out, as well as the steering wheel lights. After driving for sometimes 5 minutes, or 30 minutes the intellilink will kick on, along with radio, lights, and all the other features associated with it. Some days it will start right up, and the clock will hold time. 90% of the time the clock is reset to 12, and or the system will not turn on until after driving, or turning car off then coming back, etc. Cant find a pattern. When the system does turn on, 2 saved stations are still programmed, all the settings are still saved, just the clock is reset. and it always turns on to the default first station available at like half volume. I have checked for loose wires, etc. Searched the internet endlessly, only relatable issues are a blank screen, which this is not the case. The dealer (2 of them) couldn't replicate the issue, big shocker :(. And every time I go to dig into it, it will work flawlessly of course. then 10 minutes later when I go to drive its off. grrrrrrrrr. The system can be working, and work all day. I park the car in the garage and the next morning, back to square one. Any ideas or thoughts are greatly appreciated.

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When the battery is disconnected all of the vehicle settings will be retained including presets and bass/mid/treble/fade/etc. The only thing that loses save is the time and date, and the driver's gauge cluster will default to showing audio rather than info or navigation or phone. I can't say for certain what your issue is but maybe someone else will know. I'd say it sounds like your HMI module is faulty. I assume the lights on the HVAC controls are illuminated, and the lights which do not illuminate are strictly radio/infotainment related buttons?

OP
OP
J

joshgbaby

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
When the battery is disconnected all of the vehicle settings will be retained including presets and bass/mid/treble/fade/etc. The only thing that loses save is the time and date, and the driver's gauge cluster will default to showing audio rather than info or navigation or phone. I can't say for certain what your issue is but maybe someone else will know. I'd say it sounds like your HMI module is faulty. I assume the lights on the HVAC controls are illuminated, and the lights which do not illuminate are strictly radio/infotainment related buttons?
Thanks, I've read about the battery, and how the radio cuts first. It is a new battery, terminals are all clean good shape. You are correct on the settings being retained. I am thinking it is the HMI, but don't want to replace/upgrade until I know for sure. You would think the dealer would be more helpful! You are also correct on the HVAC lights and function, all work normal, just not the infotainment area. The screen will raise and lower with the button when system is off also.

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I've read about the battery, and how the radio cuts first. It is a new battery, terminals are all clean good shape. You are correct on the settings being retained. I am thinking it is the HMI, but don't want to replace/upgrade until I know for sure. You would think the dealer would be more helpful! You are also correct on the HVAC lights and function, all work normal, just not the infotainment area. The screen will raise and lower with the button when system is off also.
I would think that there would be stored communication faults for the HMI. Are they finding nothing at all?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu