Vacation question: Anyone use a luggage hitch?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Garth Knight

Reaction score
I'm about to go on a long voyage and have been considering getting an enclosed luggage hitch. I would just rent a small Uhual trailer to pull behind but need to go much faster than 55mph lol. So far I'm trying to decide between Thule, Yakima and GearSpace. Not sure if I want to spend almost $3k though, the GearSpace is nice but pricey! What do you all think?

https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Cargo-Carrier/Lets-Go-Aero/HGK819.html ($3k!)

https://thmotorsports.com/242245-thule (hope this site is legit)

*edited this one in after making this post... Might be the happy medium between Thule 665c and the pricier GearSpace.

Need to make a decision soon here, ugh lol.

Last edited:

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went with this and packed the stuff in 4 Rubbermaid totes. Strapped them down w/ ratchet straps after using stretch wrap to wrap the lid to tote seam, and packed the completed assembly in a Costco lawn and leaf bag. Do this every winter on my annual ice fishing trip. Nothing has ever gotten wet. Cheap, Minnesota version, but it works.

Chad G 1979

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like that swing away one vest of those 3. I havea tho7ght for you. Get just a hitch cargo carrier and a fully waterproof cargo bag that fits it. Its what i have done when i need extra storage. The bag is pretty heavy duty and rubberized, but it is in storage so dont have a brand. The cargo carrier is just an aluminum one i purchased at menards (similar tolowes home depot)a long time ago. There are variations out there. I also use ratchet straps to secure the bag. I also added lights to the cargo carrier for peace of mind and safety. Sorry so long winded and not sure it helped you any.

OP
OP
Garth Knight

Garth Knight

Reaction score
I like that swing away one vest of those 3. I havea tho7ght for you. Get just a hitch cargo carrier and a fully waterproof cargo bag that fits it. Its what i have done when i need extra storage. The bag is pretty heavy duty and rubberized, but it is in storage so dont have a brand. The cargo carrier is just an aluminum one i purchased at menards (similar tolowes home depot)a long time ago. There are variations out there. I also use ratchet straps to secure the bag. I also added lights to the cargo carrier for peace of mind and safety. Sorry so long winded and not sure it helped you any.
Yeah I thought about going this route but I like the idea of the hard enclosed carrier. Though would save a lot of money, hmmmmmm.

Myfirstz71

Reaction score
I have used several different ones to haul scuba gear to Florida for cavern/cave diving. They all work depending on your preferred methods and need of water proofing.

My biggest input would be weight limit. I have seen these carriers lined with scuba tanks which is a fair amount of weight, and potential major hazard if the carrier snaps. And the weight is not distributed well since the carrier extends off the back of the truck.

I like them for extra storage and hauling and think they work well. I’ve never had an issue. Just consider your weight load.

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just be aware that using hitch mounted cargo carriers like this can block your license plate, which gives a cop a reason to pull you over. To be "legal" you really need to temporarily relocate your plate to where it's visible and lit up at night. I helped a friend mount his plate on his hitch carrier and added a trailer license plate light to illuminate it at night. Used a trailer wire harness and just plugged it into the hitch wiring. Taking a cross country trip, he didn't want any surprises from law enforcement. If the carrier is large enough that it blocks your tail lights, then you should also add trailer tail lights to it.
Just my 2 cents.....

OP
OP
Garth Knight

Garth Knight

Reaction score
I bit the bullet and got the GearDeck by LetsGoAero. I like the design and it has integrated tail lights plus a bracket for the license plate. 300 lbs weight limit too. The Thule wouldn't have arrived in time anyways. I'll post some pictures of it next week after it arrives.

TahoeMax

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm about to go on a long voyage and have been considering getting an enclosed luggage hitch. I would just rent a small Uhual trailer to pull behind but need to go much faster than 55mph lol. So far I'm trying to decide between Thule, Yakima and GearSpace. Not sure if I want to spend almost $3k though, the GearSpace is nice but pricey! What do you all think?

https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Cargo-Carrier/Lets-Go-Aero/HGK819.html ($3k!)

https://thmotorsports.com/242245-thule (hope this site is legit)

*edited this one in after making this post... Might be the happy medium between Thule 665c and the pricier GearSpace.

Need to make a decision soon here, ugh lol.
I have used a hitch hauler twice. the one I bought years ago was heavy duty. Strong bracing. my wayerptoof storage bag was destroyed by mice in my shed, so I got a new one….
I have seen people use rubbermaid bins and crank on them…..I happen to think they could crush, become leaky, and maybe loosen up and fall Off.
just buy quality, and you’ll have peace of mond

Scott in AZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use a hitch mounted bike rack that is awesome. 1-Up brand, made in Pennsylvania. Have owned it for more than a decade. All Aluminum and steel, no plastic, handles the AZ sun. Eliminated bikes I. The roof which is a disaster waiting to happen. This rack does indeed block my license tag but in 14 years of driving ~ 1/3 of the time with rack on never had any questions from Law Enforcement. But I drive OG easy. I keep meaning to stencil my tag number on the back of the rack, though, because I have thought about this. For anyone considering, my advice is take the pain up front, spend what it takes to get a good one. My rack fold up and out of the way (seep picture) but I also have Also a hitch-receiver shape bracket on wall in garage to store rack when not using. Does not block tail lights when up or down, but obviously the 3rd center light helps here too. Happy trails.

Attachments

• 3695579F-2DA5-4816-9A9E-3A5A1FE83B5E.jpeg
    3695579F-2DA5-4816-9A9E-3A5A1FE83B5E.jpeg
    271.1 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TIMMY_B