Used 4wd today for the first time...questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fastpat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, I've had my "new" 95 Yukon for a couple of weeks and have been doing the basic examination as to needs

Today, I wanted to drive into the "back 40" so to speak, back where our chickens are kept. We live on a hill side, 11 acres all told, and 4WD is best used to avoid spinning tires

My 95 has the floor mounted selector lever, so I initially chose 4 hi (after shifting into neutral). The transfer case balked at going into 4WD.

Sol I said to myself, okay, let's see about 4 lo. I shifted the transfer case into neutral and then tried 4 lo. Major crunching of the gears. Still, I was able to shove it into 4 lo.

I drove it to where I wanted to unload my new chickens, brought it back down most of the hill, then stopped. I put the transmission into neutral, pulled the transfer case shifter into neutral, waited a few seconds, then attempted to shift into 2 hi. Major gear crunching again. I finally pulled it into 2 hi, which it did enter. Then 4 hi was also available.

Anyone want to speculate what's up with the transfer case? As they say, "I know damn well somethings rotten in Denmark".

cmc76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ill be the first to say I don't know why.
But I will also say every older truck I had crunched going into 4 lo.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my 94 suburban had major gear crunching going into 4 lo but 4 hi was usually nice and smooth. 4 hi only crunched when i tried to pull it from 2wd to 4 hi quickly or as you said had issues trying to get it into 4 hi. the only time i started having serious issues with that was when the rear output shaft lock ring broke. it gave me trouble doing anything with it. however when it broke i also noticed using 2wd seemed dangerous as it had obvious binding issues. apparently due to the chain and gears were now out of alignment. so unless your hearing horrible noises in 2wd im also at a loss. so all i can suggest is make sure you come to a complete stop shift into neutral give it a moment then try to grab 4lo. 4hi i think is actually supposed to be grabbed from park not neutral.

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On mine, it seems to behave better by slowing to a bare roll, transmission in neutral and going straight from 4H to 4L in one smooth motion, not pausing in between.

You might take a look at the linkages, see if anything is gunked up. Also fluid level, it should be at the bottom of the filler plug.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518

Latest posts