Upgrading from my 08 to a 2015 LTZ Tahoe or Sierra Denali. Help!

2014 Sierra Denali or 2015 Tahoe LTZ???

• 2014-2015 Sierra Denali 6.2L 4X4 with Bed Cover ($39K)

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • 2015 Tahoe LTZ RWD ($46k)

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

94Pro-5.0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am pushing 170K miles on my 2008 Tahoe LT3. The truck has been extremely reliable and my fiance and I love it. I have a 4 year old and a 7 month old. The Tahoe will be my daily driver and the vehicle we use on weekends when we go out as a family. We plan to take some trips in the near future so I want to upgrade due to the miles on my truck.

I originally wanted a 2015 Yukon Denali, but I'm a big do-it-yourselfer, so I haul a lot of stuff from landscaping supplies and carpentry stuff. I also have a shepherd that rides with me sometimes, I tow my classic cars and haul parts for those classics, and really can't justify spending $55-$65k on a Yukon Denali that I may or may not "beat up."

So, I am considering a used 2015 Tahoe LTZ 2WD (~40k miles for ~$46k) OR a 2014-15 Sierra Denali 4x4 6.2L (40k miles for $39k)

I favor the Denali due to the 6.2L, 8 Speed, and the fact that I can get a 4x4 and stay within my budget. I'll do a Roll N Lock bed cover and probably install a bed mat in the bed.

What I like about the Tahoe: Rear captains chairs, rear DVD, smoother ride, fold flat third row.

My fiance favors the Tahoe for the fold flat 3rd row, covered storage, and just the overall look.

I have had my Tahoe for 5 years and I slightly fear the transition to a pick-up truck.

What would you do? Will I regret changing from a Tahoe to a pick-up or will I love the transition?

Ultimately it's my decision but I want her to like it when when she drives it also.

Last edited:

DenaliBQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i had a 14 sierra denali now I have a 16 Yukon denali love the Yukon hands down so much better as far as ride and comfort but I also didn't need the pick up for towing or really hauling anything I couldn't fit in a Yukon so but hands down it is so much better

OP
OP
94Pro-5.0

94Pro-5.0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i had a 14 sierra denali now I have a 16 Yukon denali love the Yukon hands down so much better as far as ride and comfort but I also didn't need the pick up for towing or really hauling anything I couldn't fit in a Yukon so but hands down it is so much better

So if you were me, you think it's worth the extra $7-$8k for the Tahoe over the Sierra?

OP
OP
94Pro-5.0

94Pro-5.0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Denali over the Tahoe, bigger engine, 4WD, more bling factors.

Keep in mind, we are talking about a Denali Sierra VS a Tahoe LTZ. The Yukon Denali is not an option for the reasons I stated

Yukon John

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keep the woman happy !! I wanted a new Sierra Denali for close to what I paid for a new Yukon SLE with Max Tow. My God that Denali Pick Up was sweet ...but at the end of the day she was going to be the primary driver and looked at me with those "Baby Blues" and said she really didn't want to drive a Pick Up !!

The newer GM SUV's have that fold flat 2nd and third row and you can put a lot of stuff in there if you have to. We have a Mercedes S500 that I drive and she drives the Yukon...she likes sitting up high so she can see what's going on. I get it...maybe I'll get my truck down the road...but for now, I made my wife happy and still have something with the "Balls" to pull our 7500# boat.

2016Yukon_zpsyp33sgxn.jpg

OP
OP
94Pro-5.0

94Pro-5.0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keep the woman happy !! I wanted a new Sierra Denali for close to what I paid for a new Yukon SLE with Max Tow. My God that Denali Pick Up was sweet ...but at the end of the day she was going to be the primary driver and looked at me with those "Baby Blues" and said she really didn't want to drive a Pick Up !!

The newer GM SUV's have that fold flat 2nd and third row and you can put a lot of stuff in there if you have to. We have a Mercedes S500 that I drive and she drives the Yukon...she likes sitting up high so she can see what's going on. I get it...maybe I'll get my truck down the road...but for now, I made my wife happy and still have something with the "Balls" to pull our 7500# boat.

I love that red!

My situation is similar to yours, but her dream car was the Audi A7, so that's her daily. I'm sure she also prefers to sit up high and it's easier for her to load the kids into an SUV. I have a feeling if I get the new Tahoe, she will end up driving it more often than the Audi, turning the Audi into my daily rather than the Tahoe. She already loves the 08 Tahoe I drive now.

I guess that's fine if that happens, but I drive 50 miles a day to round trip to work and would prefer to mile-out a Tahoe over an Audi

ABNLT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We had the same dilemma and the deciding factor was cargo. By that I mean, since we live in the north, any groceries or such placed in the back of the pick up would potentially freeze on the trip home. Since the cargo area of the Yukon is heated this isn't an issue. This was the deciding factor for us. Good luck!

sickk23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Sierra Denali doesn't have an 8 speed transmission in 2014.. Does it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019