Upgrading all speakers and adding subs/amps.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zapp Brannigan

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Bought a 2011 Tahoe (repo) Looking to upgrade the speakers (has Bose system) I’m wanting to add 2 15 inch subs, 1700 watt amp, and add a second amp for all the door/pillar speakers.

Ive heard of the big 3 upgrade (haven’t did this yet. Would that upgrade along with a second battery be all i need to do? The Tahoe has RVC and it constantly fluctuates my voltage. I’d assume this would bother the amps when added? Anyway to disable it? I’ve tried the search bar with 0 results.

OP
OP
Z

Zapp Brannigan

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey bud, let me know if you still need help with this. I've done a full BOSE delete and replaced every single speaker there is in there. I can guide you on how to do it.
That’d be fantastic. I’ve done all the major work around my very tight schedule. The only thing i have left is to mount the tweeters in the pillars (some how?).

I bought Rockford fosgate T2 component speakers front and rear. The tweeters are way bigger than the Bose. I was hoping to use them behind the covers. Don’t think that’ll happen. Unless you’ve got a trick?

Tyler191938

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
That’d be fantastic. I’ve done all the major work around my very tight schedule. The only thing i have left is to mount the tweeters in the pillars (some how?).

I bought Rockford fosgate T2 component speakers front and rear. The tweeters are way bigger than the Bose. I was hoping to use them behind the covers. Don’t think that’ll happen. Unless you’ve got a trick?
So the tweeters are probably going to be the hardest part about your whole upgrade. You have 2 options for the front. You can take the A-Pillar tweeters out and then either cut or dremel a hole big enough to fit your new tweeters. The factory hole is not circular so be careful with how much you cut. The other option is to drill in the sail panels on the door. You'll need a hole saw that is the exact size of your tweeter, lets say 1 inch. This makes wiring them in easier, but its also going to be a permanent hole and it wont look as factory.

Your also going to need to mount an external crossover if your speakers came with it. I'm currently doing that right now and I don't have much input but I'll be installing them within the next day or two so I may have suggestions and pictures then.

The tweeters in the A-Pillar are run in parallel with the door woofers so do not cut the connector off and terminate the wires. You'll also need to cut or dremel the plastic "Bose" clip that covers up the A-Pillar tweeter. I'll post some pics below so you can get a reference as to what I'm talking about. Note, the tweeters in the picture are 1.25" and I used a dremel.

7ZTVZ43.png
7rcdIWu.png

OP
OP
Z

Zapp Brannigan

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So the tweeters are probably going to be the hardest part about your whole upgrade. You have 2 options for the front. You can take the A-Pillar tweeters out and then either cut or dremel a hole big enough to fit your new tweeters. The factory hole is not circular so be careful with how much you cut. The other option is to drill in the sail panels on the door. You'll need a hole saw that is the exact size of your tweeter, lets say 1 inch. This makes wiring them in easier, but its also going to be a permanent hole and it wont look as factory.

Your also going to need to mount an external crossover if your speakers came with it. I'm currently doing that right now and I don't have much input but I'll be installing them within the next day or two so I may have suggestions and pictures then.

The tweeters in the A-Pillar are run in parallel with the door woofers so do not cut the connector off and terminate the wires. You'll also need to cut or dremel the plastic "Bose" clip that covers up the A-Pillar tweeter. I'll post some pics below so you can get a reference as to what I'm talking about. Note, the tweeters in the picture are 1.25" and I used a dremel.

View attachment 353573
View attachment 353574

Thanks a lot for the info! I’m def torn between the mod you did to the pillar or just putting them in the door panel itself. Makes Me wish i was good at fiberglass work to patch the 2 holes left over in the pillars. That’s probably the route I’ll end up going! Thanks again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dvnt