Upgrade wheels at Order time vs buy later?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JayceeP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The upgrade is $3K and you don’t get to keep your OEM wheels, so it’s really $4K, right ? Because you are giving up an extra set of rims that are worth something. And 22” tires, like you said, pros and cons. The pros are mostly aesthetic though, is what I think.

I’d take the OEM wheels and tires, and then in three years when the tires are wearing down, replace the wheels and tires with 20 inch, maybe a little wider and lower profile to keep the diameter same.

Warranty is going to cover manufacturing defect, not damage. Discount Tire (geat business, IMO…) is going to give you a warranty too. Then your actual cost (since you need new tires anyways) is the price of the wheels, maybe $1500? And you get to keep your OEM wheels for the spare tire. Or sell them. Or donate them for the tax write off. Whatever. I’d get OEM wheels then swap them out in a few years. I’d Keep the OEM wheels, and set them up with deep-profile off-road or snow tires. That’s what I’d do.

In fact that’s what I did, 15 years ago when I traded up my stock 265/70-16’s for 275/60-18’s. The 18” wheels cost me a few hundred bucks, and I still have them. I get tempted by the 20’s …. Maybe one day I’ll get a good deal from someone trading up to two-dubs!
this is what I did. I’m ordering my build with the stock 20” wheels that had no up charge and immediately ordered the gloss black through the dealer (with a good discount) and tires. When the truck comes, I’ll swap immediately and sell the factory 20” tires and put 20” winters on. So not only do I save about $2,000 net, I now have a factory set of winter alloy rims. And that $2,000 savings is only assuming I bought ugly steelies for winters and not really nice alloy’s… so the savings as technically more. I’m just looking at actually out of pocket to get my 22’s and have winter tires.

Or, another way to look at it. For $1000 more than the 22” option on the truck order, I got 20” factory alloy tires and winter tires. Pretty good.

Last edited: