Upgrade Bose system with better speakers but keep the Bose amp?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MajorPile

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
There are a lot of questions about the Bose system on this forum, but I have yet to find one that answers whether or not the Bose Amp is good enough to keep in the system and just upgrade the door speakers. Maybe I've missed it somewhere.

I have an 05 Yukon and I installed a Pioneer 4660 NEX. I used the wiring harnesses from Crutchfield so the audio is running from the Head Unit, through the Bose amp, and to the Bose door speakers. I'll be adding a 10" sub in the back using the Sub/RCA outs from the Pioneer head unit.

I'm wondering if I can just upgrade the door speakers and tweeter and continue to have the Bose amp power those newer speakers. I can't find any specs on the amp so I don't know about the quality of the Bose amp.

Is the BOSE amp good enough for a moderate system (maybe $200 for a pair of door speakers and tweeters)? Is it worth upgrading the Bose door speakers?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are a lot of questions about the Bose system on this forum, but I have yet to find one that answers whether or not the Bose Amp is good enough to keep in the system and just upgrade the door speakers. Maybe I've missed it somewhere.

I have an 05 Yukon and I installed a Pioneer 4660 NEX. I used the wiring harnesses from Crutchfield so the audio is running from the Head Unit, through the Bose amp, and to the Bose door speakers. I'll be adding a 10" sub in the back using the Sub/RCA outs from the Pioneer head unit.

I'm wondering if I can just upgrade the door speakers and tweeter and continue to have the Bose amp power those newer speakers. I can't find any specs on the amp so I don't know about the quality of the Bose amp.

Is the BOSE amp good enough for a moderate system (maybe $200 for a pair of door speakers and tweeters)? Is it worth upgrading the Bose door speakers?
you need to find out the impedance of the existing speakers and match that impedance to the new speakers, keep in mind Bose uses a built in filter in the amp so finding "better"
compatible speakers is difficult, just adding the sub alone does wonders.

corvette744

2004 Z-71
Reaction score
I added alpine door speakers in front doors and tweeters in pillars sounds great.If you need technical info just call crutchfield im sure they have run into every solution.Yes make sure you get the correct ohm speakers again call crutchfield.

OP
OP
MajorPile

MajorPile

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks! Which Alpine speakers did you use? Mind sharing the model number?

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Bose speakers impedance range between 1.2 and 2.5 Ohms, depending on the speaker types (midrange or tweeter). This is much less than industry standard aftermarket midrange/tweeter speakers, which are typically 4 Ohm. As a result, aftermarket speakers will only consume 1/2 to 2/3 of the rated power of the Bose amp, because the aftermarket speakers higher impedance will limit power consumption through the speakers. You can offset this difference by purchasing more power efficient aftermarket speakers (more sound volume per watt of power consumed). Unfortunately, higher quality speakers typically not as power efficient as lower quality speakers, so there may need to be some trade-offs here.

I'm not a fan of Bose systems, so I stripped out the entire Bose system and replaced it with a complete aftermarket system.

ahunn

Reaction score
Make sure that you match the ohm load and you'll be fine. If you use higher than 2 ohms the volume will be very low.

I replaced mine with 1 ohm speakers, prior to ditching the bose amp and adding in my own amps/speakers.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the infinity's are good quality, the alpine's have really gone to hell and wont last, the old school ones would last you 10+ years easy, the new ones wont last even half as long, just my opinion....

thingraylinetah

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Bose speakers impedance range between 1.2 and 2.5 Ohms, depending on the speaker types (midrange or tweeter). This is much less than industry standard aftermarket midrange/tweeter speakers, which are typically 4 Ohm. As a result, aftermarket speakers will only consume 1/2 to 2/3 of the rated power of the Bose amp, because the aftermarket speakers higher impedance will limit power consumption through the speakers. You can offset this difference by purchasing more power efficient aftermarket speakers (more sound volume per watt of power consumed). Unfortunately, higher quality speakers typically not as power efficient as lower quality speakers, so there may need to be some trade-offs here.

I'm not a fan of Bose systems, so I stripped out the entire Bose system and replaced it with a complete aftermarket system.
This is probably what I am going to do in my 06.