Under dash courtasy light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JRich305

Reaction score
I have a 2003 tahoe and the brackets to put the bulb in that goes under the dash are there but there is no wire to put the bulb in. So i was wondering where i would go to buy the wirin and how to install it. Also wha is it called? Would the dealership have it?

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
your trim level probably did not have it included with it just bu the part to set it up. and tap into your other door open illumination lighting.

OP
OP
J

JRich305

Reaction score
I dont quite under stand how the wires are to reah the junction box? How am i to wire the passenger and driver 194 sockets with pigtails to the junction box wire if the wires are so shorts? What extra wire do i need to extend the reach? Where do i feed the wire from the passenger side over to the driver side to. E connected to the black box wire? Confused. Guide seems broken up. I dont want anything special just want the regular lights.

Physh1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You draw power from the wire notated in the junction box. Ground it wherever you want & run the wire as you see fit. You don't need to go to the extent I did. Just get 2 194 bulb sockets, 2 bulbs, a little wire, ground both to the dash frame & run courtesy power from the junction box so they will go on & off with your interior lights. You'll need to extend the wires to reach...soldering or crimping with splices will be fine.

Cameron

OP
OP
J

JRich305

Reaction score
how do i get the wires for the bulb sockets to reach the spliced wire? im confused. which wire do i splice into the orange plug? i would like both driver and passenger lights on. so what kind of wire do i need to get the passenger wire to reach to the orage plug? where do i connect the pigtails that are on the passenger side socket? im so lost.

Physh1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You make the wires longer by soldering or splicing (aka joining) another piece of wire to the wires on the socket. The wires on the bulb sockets isn't long enough...you're right. Make them longer by attaching another length of wire to them.

You connect the passenger socket ground can be connected to the metal dash frame. There are grounds already there for other electrical items...find a common ground there and add to it. The positives on both sockets can be joined together & splices into the gray wire with a black stripe, the one next to a larger red wire, in the orange plug.

22ga & 18ga wire should be sufficient. Did you read the how-to? It's got all this info in it with arrows pointing to everything. It's pretty basic wiring but if you haven't done this before you may want someone to help you.

Cameron

Physh1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's normal stranded wire. Radio shack has it...auto supply stores will have it. It's dirt cheap...buy it local...no need to buy it on ebay.

Cameron

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alejo2160