TYF Ate my Thread (Cheapest DOD/AFM delete option is...?)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LurkingLuke

Reaction score
Somehow I started a thread, which some of you took the time to respond to, re DOD delete. I can't find your replies anymore, so let me re-inquire in as few words as possible: is ~$500 really the most affordable fix?

That was the price for the unit which plugs into the OBDII and must remain there. I'm not interested in the Black Bear option, just in buying time before failure.

While I'm on the subject: is the "Italian Tune-Up" at all effective? You know, stomping on the throttle to "burn off" excess carbon already coked on to the heads. Seems like an idea for an everyday longevity enhancer, but I have my doubts about its "burn off" effects.

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score
Use synthetic oil and you should be good for 200k miles. I would not delete anything until you have the rollors get stuck. I have several friends with the NNBS platform go almost 200k before they start having DOD issues.

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@LurkingLuke It is not a fix, at best it is a preventative measure. And the most reputable produce that matches your description is only $200~

The Italian tune up can be helpful in specific situations but if you are tackling a specific problem I would go with a more direct approach

solli5pack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Plugging a module into the OBD port is not a DOD delete. You're just turning it off but under certain rare conditions it can still reactivate. Are you having a specific problem or just trying to be proactive against lifter failure?

OP
OP
LurkingLuke

LurkingLuke

Reaction score
Plugging a module into the OBD port is not a DOD delete. You're just turning it off but under certain rare conditions it can still reactivate. Are you having a specific problem or just trying to be proactive against lifter failure?
Just trying to pre-empt failure.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Range makes a product that does it. AFM disable.
'Delete' refers to permanently removing all V4 mode hardware.
It's the only way to be absolutely sure the V4 mode lifters can never fail you; by getting rid of them.
'Disable' prevents using V4 mode. Plug-ins disable V4 mode, but only while plugged in.
Tunes permanently disable V4 mode - if that's what you ask for.

It should be obvious that when you unplug the plug-in, V4 mode re-enables itself.
If you ever need to unplug it, shift manually and avoid top gear, this also avoids V4 mode.

The better value will always be a proper tune - you really don't know what you're missing ...

Anyway, be sure to change your oil and filter more often than the Oil Life Monitor suggests.

Trey Hardy

8” fabtech icon coilovers uniballs 24x14on35/15.50
Reaction score
Somehow I started a thread, which some of you took the time to respond to, re DOD delete. I can't find your replies anymore, so let me re-inquire in as few words as possible: is ~$500 really the most affordable fix?

That was the price for the unit which plugs into the OBDII and must remain there. I'm not interested in the Black Bear option, just in buying time before failure.

While I'm on the subject: is the "Italian Tune-Up" at all effective? You know, stomping on the throttle to "burn off" excess carbon already coked on to the heads. Seems like an idea for an everyday longevity enhancer, but I have my doubts about its "burn off" effects.
Mine dropped a lifter twice once around 275,000 and again around 325,000 give or take on both
I was 4 hr from home and did exactly what you said at the end… the old Italian tune up. She was a lil low on oil so I threw a quart or marvel mystery oil in her and drove it like I stole it and when I got home she was purring like a kitten. I’m almost to 400,000 now without doing a mechanical dod delete I just have it tuned off in the computer

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrentL9900