Truck backfire

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rAiN_Twist

Reaction score
Back again, my brothers truck (5.7l v8 vortec 350) is backfiring hard, and he went to turn, and when he was about to hit the gas the truck died. He said it took about 5 minutes to start. Does that sound like a valve problem, or what do you guys think?

rAiN Twist - YouTube

OP
OP
R

rAiN_Twist

Reaction score
What was done, what has been checked?
The truck has had a lot of work done before he bought it. Him and his dad bought it, and they don't know shit about vehicles. They should have known that something was up when they saw a K&N filter hanging on it. The truck had to be towed to a mechanic when they bought it. The truck had racing headers on it (chrome) and the mechanic "cut them off" but really just sold them. So I told them how much those headers were worth, and they threatened to sew but didn't. So now he has some rusty headers on there. He has a shift kit, glass pack (he added this, I told him it would run bad), I think it has a cam in it, but it doesn't lope. So I think it's just a really steep cam. And I'm sure it's had engine work done to it.

rAiN Twist - YouTube

ISU-152

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Phone man is asking if you've checked the basics first before jumping to a valve conclusion.

OP
OP
R

rAiN_Twist

Reaction score
Phone man is asking if you've checked the basics first before jumping to a valve conclusion.
Yeah my dad knows a lot about these trucks, and he said to take it to autozone and let them plug it up because it could be as simple as a O2 sensor. But he said it's probably distributor, or wires.

rAiN Twist - YouTube

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
set the engine at 1 tdc and check the dizzy positioning and proceed from there with a vlave adjustment. when a cam or crank or valve or dizzy is not set correctly you can get backfiring.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
elfro