Trouble code P0220

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bigbertha78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2004 Tahoe Z71 163k Miles. Haven't had any issues for a while with the truck, about 800 miles ago I was having issues with rough idle at stops. Tonight cranked a warm engine and the engine light came on with reduced engine power warning and a rough idle. Drove 20 feet and turned off truck for about 20 minutes. Cranked truck back up with engine light but no other warnings and idle was fine, pulled code of P0220, Autozone said throttle body. Any ideas or is this right on?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That code is for TP Sensor 2 voltage. Without a Tech2 to test with, your limited in diagnosis. You can check circuits with ohm meter too though. If the wiring is good, it's either the Throttle Body or the ECM.

I don't have the manual for yours but others here do.

OP
OP
Bigbertha78

Bigbertha78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That would be awesome, any way I can check the circuits would be an awesome start. Any ideas on how to check the circuits?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
sometimes the throttle body just has a brain fart and then keeps on trucking, unless it keeps happening then it can be hard to narrow down you could try cleaning the throttle body, you could even try jiggling the harness while it is idling and see if the problem re-occurs if not then I wouldn't worry about it to much my 03 Silverado has done it maybe 3 times in the last 4-5 years. I have considered maybe replacing the throttle body but it happens so extremely rarely that it just isn't an issue

OP
OP
Bigbertha78

Bigbertha78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Doubeleive, read your post and got excited that it was just some random issue, guess I couldn't get that lucky! Cranked the truck this morning and had no engine at all and everything seemed normal. Drove the truck for 15 miles and after turning it off a few times the last time it did it all over again. Engine light, rough idle, and reduced engine power warning. Turned truck off and back on and engine light was the only thing that remained. Gonna try shooting some wires. Tried the wiggle test and nothing changed!

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Doubeleive, read your post and got excited that it was just some random issue, guess I couldn't get that lucky! Cranked the truck this morning and had no engine at all and everything seemed normal. Drove the truck for 15 miles and after turning it off a few times the last time it did it all over again. Engine light, rough idle, and reduced engine power warning. Turned truck off and back on and engine light was the only thing that remained. Gonna try shooting some wires. Tried the wiggle test and nothing changed!
well bummer, only thing I can add is without doing a official diagnostic the most common issue is the throttle body, if there is a junkyard around I would try getting a used one if it needs to be addressed right away or order one online rockauto/amazon/ebay I would check all 3 it can save you some bucks compared to having to pay retail. it's kind of a gamble diagnostic-vs-crap shoot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rickyrick63