Trim package help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mnwildfan2k

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
New guy here. Life changes require transportation changes. Currently have a Jeep GC 5.7L Hemi. Need a new family truckster that will seat 8. (Read "adding bonus kids") I've been keeping an eye out for an 07-12 Tahoe but I'm having trouble keeping the trim packages straight. Can an expert point me in the right direction? I can't even count the number of hours I have looked through listings and flipping through pictures in hopes there's a rear 3rd row...

Must have middle row bench. (Looks like the LTZ only comes with middle buckets)
Must have 3rd row.
Must have 4WD

Would prefer leather. Ideally grey or black, no tan.

Anything I should stay away from, or be cautious of to look over well once I find one that may fit the bill?

Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
When you have 7 or 8 people in it, do you also need room for baggage, stroller, groceries, etc? If so, you may want to look into a long wheelbase model like a Suburban or Yukon XL. These have more leg room in the 2nd and 3rd row, plus 3 feet behind the 3rd row instead of the 10" or so in the short wheelbase Tahoe/Yukon.

2001 Yukon SLT
2012 Yukon XL Denali
2011 Yukon Denali RIP 5/20/18

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
M

mnwildfan2k

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You bring forward some valid points. I've decided against the XL/Suburban models for a few reasons. One, they're flat out too big. I test drove a Suburban a few years back before I bought my Expedition. I simply didn't like it. In the rare event we have too much to haul around, I have a job box mounted to a cargo carrier and a roof top Thule box that can be added.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trim packages, from lowest to highest level are...

LS- cloth seats
1LT
2LT
3LT
LTZ

The only way you'll be able to tell the different LT versions is by a build sheet or the original window sticker.

And none of those trim levels is a guarantee that a truck will have 4wd, middle row bench or a third row. You'll have to look at the pictures of any given listing to know for sure. Generally speaking, the higher trim levels are going to have middle row captains chairs. The LS models (with cloth seats) would be the most likely to have a middle bench, but they'll also have fewer options. Myself, I like the options like the power tailgate, remote start, 4 heated seats, etc. Heck, my 3LT Suburban came from the factory as a 6-seater - it has the captains chairs in the middle and the Escalade third row that only seats two. I bought a third row bench off eBay to give me seating for 7.

Cars.com and autotrader are both pretty good sites for searching for used vehicles. Personally, I prefer autotrader.

gpracer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LTZ can have either bucket or bench second row. I needed bucket to put long stuff in the back, took me a while to find what I wanted. Don’t be impulsive, wait till you find what you want.

Reaction score
Yukons are pretty much identical to Tahoes except for the front grill and headlights/taillights. The trim levels are different also. I don't know what exactly they are, but I know there is an SLT and the Denali. Probably an LT for the base?

2001 Yukon SLT
2012 Yukon XL Denali

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yukons are pretty much identical to Tahoes except for the front grill and headlights/taillights. The trim levels are different also. I don't know what exactly they are, but I know there is an SLT and the Denali. Probably an LT for the base?

2001 Yukon SLT
2012 Yukon XL Denali

SLE is the base (cloth seats)
SLT is mid-grade (leather)
Denali is top of the line

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have seen a few LTZ package Tahoe’s with bench seats in the middle. Hard to find but they are out there. Like he said above, don’t settle right away on a truck. Take the time to find that right one for you and when it happens you’ll be more happy with it. I started looking at the GM full sizes, and I ended up shopping through for 6 months before I found the right truck for me. But that in mind I also wasn’t fully ready to buy a newer truck when I first started shopping as I hadn’t sold my older SUV yet. But when I first started out, everything had too many miles, was beat up to all heck, and generally just wasn’t the right truck. It wasn’t until I found mine that was everything I wanted. To add on, I initially was looking at Tahoe’s and Yukon’s, not suburbans or XLs. But I realized the standard wheel base GMs really didn’t offer much more space than my Durango did. My world of available options opened way up when I started shopping burbs and XLs. Plus it rides way better and has a little better handling, has a lot more usable interior space, and is generally much more comfortable. Parking is a bit more of a challenge, although that’s really only the case when I go down to big cities like Los Angeles where parking is just difficult in general for anything bigger than a freakin Prius or civic. But I got used to the longer wheel base and parking, and pretty quickly too.
I would also add that the third row seat in the tahoe and regular Yukon is pretty cramped, especially for adults. I’m only 6 feet tall but the last time I rode in a regular Yukon I pretty much smacked my head on the ceiling every time we hit a bumpy. Not the most comfortable seating, especially on long rides. It’s quite a bit better in the longer wheel base trucks.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
they all have 3rd row unless the seat just isn't present or if you find a ppv without a 3rd row then you would have to add some brackets and the seat, 4wd option will vary from class to class but the Denali's and Escalades are all awd, many times people don't follow any standard when listing them for sale so if you don't see it pictured or described then you just have to ask. the xl body may take a little getting used to but I would feel weird driving a swb after driving a xl for so many years