Transmission

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Berger83

Reaction score
Hello I have a 2005 Chevy Tahoe I purchased used with 131000 miles on it I currently have 180000 on it now and I’m wanting to change the trans fluid when I first purchased it the trans fluid looked pretty good (so can I assume it was taking care of and properly changed?) now with 180000 miles the fluid is a little brown color pretty much like it looks changed my question is would it hurt to use the trans cooler line to pump the fluid out of the pan and add new fluid and filter back into the trans then flush the system again then add more fluid then flush again pretty much like a flush without using a flush machine would it be safe to do this this way because I’ve read where flush machines force new fluid backwards into the trans causing any build up to come loose would the way I want to do it be safe on a high mileage transmission?

OP
OP
Berger83

Berger83

Reaction score
Well either way I’m just curious if doing a full flush like this will cause issues or the trans to go out the fluid looked good when I purchased it almost like new and now it has the color of time to change it but I’m wanting to try to do this method to get at least twelve new quarts in it without any damage

LionsGuy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well either way I’m just curious if doing a full flush like this will cause issues or the trans to go out the fluid looked good when I purchased it almost like new and now it has the color of time to change it but I’m wanting to try to do this method to get at least twelve new quarts in it without any damage

I would just drop the pan, replace that fluid, put on a new filter and pan gasket. There are videos on YouTube for your truck, there’s also some seal you should check well you have the pan down it should be in the videos. Full flushes can damage high mileage transmissions, drain and refill is the way to go imo.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
Hello I have a 2005 Chevy Tahoe I purchased used with 131000 miles on it I currently have 180000 on it now and I’m wanting to change the trans fluid when I first purchased it the trans fluid looked pretty good (so can I assume it was taking care of and properly changed?) now with 180000 miles the fluid is a little brown color pretty much like it looks changed my question is would it hurt to use the trans cooler line to pump the fluid out of the pan and add new fluid and filter back into the trans then flush the system again then add more fluid then flush again pretty much like a flush without using a flush machine would it be safe to do this this way because I’ve read where flush machines force new fluid backwards into the trans causing any build up to come loose would the way I want to do it be safe on a high mileage transmission?

Many in this community (me included) have used this method with much success. Mine was at 146000 when performed. I also put the vette servo in while she was empty I have driven 3000 trouble free miles since.

OP
OP
Berger83

Berger83

Reaction score
I would just drop the pan, replace that fluid, put on a new filter and pan gasket. There are videos on YouTube for your truck, there’s also some seal you should check well you have the pan down it should be in the videos. Full flushes can damage high mileage transmissions, drain and refill is the way to go imo.
That was my question a flush machine sends cleaners and all that backwards through the transmission I’m simply flushing it out the forward way

OP
OP
Berger83

Berger83

Reaction score
Many in this community (me included) have used this method with much success. Mine was at 146000 when performed. I also put the vette servo in while she was empty I have driven 3000 trouble free miles since.
Thanks for the reply my trans fluid has just a hint of brownish color so I think i might be good with doing a full flush with this method considering the fluid at 131000 looked like it had been serviced before overall the Tahoe is in immaculate condition for being 14 years old I can assume it was well maintained

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That was my question a flush machine sends cleaners and all that backwards through the transmission I’m simply flushing it out the forward way

You're not really flushing, just exchanging. You can use two buckets, one for the old and one filled with the new and drop your lines into both and start the motor but turn it off before sucking the clean side dry.

The dealerships use the Trans Flow machine to clean out the filter and then reverse to exchange the fluid, this method does not harm the transmission.

OP
OP
Berger83

Berger83

Reaction score
You're not really flushing, just exchanging. You can use two buckets, one for the old and one filled with the new and drop your lines into both and start the motor but turn it off before sucking the clean side dry.

The dealerships use the Trans Flow machine to clean out the filter and then reverse to exchange the fluid, this method does not harm the transmission.
Thanks for the info it helps me out a lot

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aray1288