Transmission won’t separate from engine block

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

silky28

Reaction score
hey all,

Trying to remove transmission from an 03 Tahoe 5.3 but I cannot get it to separate from the engine block.

All of the transmission bolts are out ( even the hard to reach top ones) and the torque converter bolts are out as well.

I have loosely reinstalled 2 of the transmission bolts to catch the tranny if it releases. I have tried yanking it, jerking it, bouncing it, kicking it...I’ve tried it all. I’ve tried heating the pins, beating it with a bfh, and prying it with long pry bars. I’ve also tried using two ratchet straps from the back of the transmission to the frame of the truck...ratchet straps max out but tranny still wont budge.

Any suggestions?

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
nevermind - cant read

make sure the engine and trans arent pinched together ie engine leaning back, trans leaning forward

8 bolts total i think bellhousing to engine

OP
OP
S

silky28

Reaction score
Yup, if I remember right it’s 8 bolts - 2 bolts on the bottom, 2 studs on each side, and 2 on the top. Then there are 3 bolts on torque converter.

I it’s not pinching. Engine and tranny are both tilted back.

Jason in DLH

Cheeseburger and Fries
Reaction score
I didn’t actually watch the video, but have seen others from him and very helpful.

OP
OP
S

silky28

Reaction score
I watched that video yesterday but I cannot get it to break free. Even with heating the crap out of the pin area I get nothing.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe put a jack under the transmission and lift up and release it a few times, would be a bit more effective than trying to man handle it with human power.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pepper1700