Transmission overheating, service 4wd message

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ratchet2141

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2005 Yukon XL 2500 4x4 with 8.1 and auto 4wd, 200,000 miles.

I've been getting the service 4wd message off and on for a few weeks. Sometimes it'll show up once per week and other times it is on every tune you start the vehicle. I haven't had to use 4wd since April and it was doing well then. Now my trans temp is reading at about 220 when it normally barely moved on the gauge. My girlfriend was driving it last week and she said it broke down. She described it as "having no power, like all four wheels had the brakes partially locked. It was also rumbling while in gear but stopped, as if the trans was a manual and you forgot to use the clutch when you stopped"

I haven't been able to recreate the exact same thing but I have noticed the lack of power or seeming as if the vehicle is bound up. I can tear the transfer case apart abd rebuild if necessary but trans rebuilds are not something I'm willing to touch. Do any of you have an idea why service 4wd would cause my trans to overheat?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
preinternet