Transmission Leak 96 Tahoe 460

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

196Hoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey all,

I am new to this forum and looking for a little help. I just picked up a 96 Tahoe for $800 bucks. Now of course it has its share of issues but I knew that going into it.

The truck runs strong and sounds throaty =:^)

I did a compression test and it passed smog with flying colors.

Ok, so that said, the problem is with the tranny and a leak on the passenger side.

I replaced the trans pan gasket and the filter. The ATF was clean but of course I replaced it anyway.

When I got home, the fluid was leaking on passenger side of the truck.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and thank you in advance.

Rob
96 Tahoe 4x4 5.7 460E

OP
OP

196Hoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey I appreciate the response.

I took simple green to underside of the truck today. Drove it to the car wash and used the high pressure sprayer to remove the grease.

When i got home, I noticed the only trans fluid was near a cross member, which has a mount attached to it.

After a closer look, there is a rubber tube(open end), which I could not find where it was attached.

Could this be leaking? What is it?

I will check the dip stick tomorrow.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
That sounds more like you transfer case vent line. Check to see if it is overfilled. Afterwards verify your tranny level while engine running. What were the results? Adjust levels as required. Monitor both closely. If your tranny goes down while you t-case goes up then the following TSB applies:

Bulletin No.: 86-74-04

Date: September, 1998
Subject:
Low Transmission Fluid Level, Transfer Case Fluid Overfilled
(Replace Transfer Case Input Shaft Seal)

Models:
1996-98 Chevrolet and GMC K1-2, T1 Models
with NP231, NP233, NP241, NP243 Transfer Case (RPOs NP1, NP2)

Condition

Some owners may comment about a low transmission fluid level or that the transfer case fluid is overfilled. In some cases, there may be no external leaks apparent. On vehicles equipped with an automatic transmission, some owners may comment about delayed engagement or transmission not shifting properly.

Cause

The above conditions may be caused by a damaged transfer case input seal. This seal damage may allow transmission fluid to enter the transfer case.

Correction

Replace the transfer case input shaft seal and inspect the transfer case input gear for possible signs of damage such as roughness, scratches, or dents. Also, inspect any seals taken from dealer inventory for signs of cut or damaged sealing lips. Verify that the transmission fluid and transfer case fluid are at the proper levels. Correct as necessary. Refer to Section 4 - Driveline/Axle in the appropriate Service Manual. Use the part number listed below.

Parts Information

P/N Description Qty

14095609 Seal, Transfer Case Input Shaft 1

Parts are currently available from GMSPO.

Warranty Information

For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:
Labor

Operation Description Labor Time

Gasket, Transfer Use published
K4250 Case to Adapter - labor operation
Replace time

Important : Labor operation is coded to base vehicle coverage in the warranty system.

---------- Post added at 05:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:15 AM ----------

They both use dexron 3

OP
OP

196Hoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
That sounds more like you transfer case vent line. Check to see if it is overfilled. Afterwards verify your tranny level while engine running. What were the results? Adjust levels as required. Monitor both closely. If your tranny goes down while you t-case goes up then the following TSB applies:

Bulletin No.: 86-74-04

Date: September, 1998
Subject:
Low Transmission Fluid Level, Transfer Case Fluid Overfilled
(Replace Transfer Case Input Shaft Seal)

Models:
1996-98 Chevrolet and GMC K1-2, T1 Models
with NP231, NP233, NP241, NP243 Transfer Case (RPOs NP1, NP2)

Condition

Some owners may comment about a low transmission fluid level or that the transfer case fluid is overfilled. In some cases, there may be no external leaks apparent. On vehicles equipped with an automatic transmission, some owners may comment about delayed engagement or transmission not shifting properly.

Cause

The above conditions may be caused by a damaged transfer case input seal. This seal damage may allow transmission fluid to enter the transfer case.

Correction

Replace the transfer case input shaft seal and inspect the transfer case input gear for possible signs of damage such as roughness, scratches, or dents. Also, inspect any seals taken from dealer inventory for signs of cut or damaged sealing lips. Verify that the transmission fluid and transfer case fluid are at the proper levels. Correct as necessary. Refer to Section 4 - Driveline/Axle in the appropriate Service Manual. Use the part number listed below.

Parts Information

P/N Description Qty

14095609 Seal, Transfer Case Input Shaft 1

Parts are currently available from GMSPO.

Warranty Information

For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:
Labor

Operation Description Labor Time

Gasket, Transfer Use published
K4250 Case to Adapter - labor operation
Replace time

Important : Labor operation is coded to base vehicle coverage in the warranty system.

---------- Post added at 05:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:15 AM ----------

They both use dexron 3

-----

By far the best response I've seen on any auto forum. Thank you everyone for your input. I will drop the tranny and check the seal.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
Hold on it may or may not be the cause have you already been able to verify that it is the problem. Would not want you to do work that is not required. How were the fluid levels in each case?

OP
OP

196Hoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ok, so incredible responses! Appreciate all the info. Ran into a buddy who recommended a shop. Took it and case was cracked all the way around. So, R&R'd it... Gears had broken teeth too.

ChiTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sounds like you'll have a dependable truck once a new t/c is in =) Enjoy!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz