Transmission issue, HELP. I'M moving in 4 days..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trixxterr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2001 Tahoe, 5.3 2wd, 4l60e. About 60k on rebuilt trans.

Ok, so coming home to day I pull out on to the highway, as soon as it goes to shift into 2nd. That's all she wrote. Loud bang, jerk, then engine just revs.. I pull over. Shift to neutral, drive nothing, shift 3rd, same. Ok.. so down to 1st, ahh, that works, so ok, i have gears, i just have to shift it manually..

Please help, i am moving 1200 miles from my current house, on Monday...

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Trixxterr

Trixxterr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, thanks for the move.

Update, pulled pan looked ok, found small piece of metal in filter. Desperately, need trans ASAP. Anyone in Central Texas, care to help me out?! Im supposed to leave Monday, for Fla. New job, etc,etc. Please, anyone??!

mmeachem

Reaction score
Ok, thanks for the move.

Update, pulled pan looked ok, found small piece of metal in filter. Desperately, need trans ASAP. Anyone in Central Texas, care to help me out?! Im supposed to leave Monday, for Fla. New job, etc,etc. Please, anyone??!
I'm not in that area but I'm sure there's rebuild shops around. Google your towns name/neighboring towns with "silverado/tahoe rebuilt transmission" and you should find a shop name.

Goodluck with everything

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Trixxterr

Trixxterr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, there are shops. But with the timeframe i had it wasnt doable.

01ssreda4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Broke your input sprag. Had it happen myself. Simple repair but the trans has to come out because its behind the pump. The reason manually shifting works is because when you pull the lever you are engaging a set of overrun clutches and thats how you are getting forward motion. Do not drive it like this if possible.

OP
OP
Trixxterr

Trixxterr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, trans was replaced. The HELPER, that did the install didn't set the converter all the way. Busted front pump, so it was fixed. Now have a new problem. Yea me.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ouch, thats a rookie mistake. Now guys, you turn the converter clockwise and push inward and you will get 3 drops inward outward of the converter then its done.

OP
OP
Trixxterr

Trixxterr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, well. It was fixed and running. I made it 3/4 the way out of Texas, before stopping for gas @Baytown Buccees. When I started it up i heard what i thought was the starter grind, turns out that it wasn't. I made it another 10 miles down the road, before the pump gave up.

So now my Tahoe is back home, i am in Florida. The "HELPER" has been fired, and i cant get anyone to fix it. This long distance shit is for the birds.. Did i mention half my shit is still in my Tahoe...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ep33401