Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ztlh13

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2007 GMC Yukon SLE and I had a 4wd warning light and the lights on my selector switch were out. I tried new selector switch to no avail. I have checked fuses which were good. I replaced the encoder motor unit and after finishing I have lights on the selector switch but cannot shift into any gears. The neutral light is not lit up and I tried holding the selector switch clockwise while holding brakes but still no light. When I shift back to park I get a grinding noise.
Is this a bad encoder motor? Any other ideas/suggestions?

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 2007 GMC Yukon SLE and I had a 4wd warning light and the lights on my selector switch were out. I tried new selector switch to no avail. I have checked fuses which were good. I replaced the encoder motor unit and after finishing I have lights on the selector switch but cannot shift into any gears. The neutral light is not lit up and I tried holding the selector switch clockwise while holding brakes but still no light. When I shift back to park I get a grinding noise.
Is this a bad encoder motor? Any other ideas/suggestions?
Have you put a scan tool on that can read the codes from your transfer case?

OP
OP
Z

ztlh13

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Have you put a scan tool on that can read the codes from your transfer case?
No, this thing isn't going anywhere except on a wrecker. I did order a encoder ring for the original encoder motor and will replace when it gets here.
BTW, I had it scanned at AutoZone. it did have a TCCM problem but I replaced the TCCM last week.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, this thing isn't going anywhere except on a wrecker. I did order a encoder ring for the original encoder motor and will replace when it gets here.
BTW, I had it scanned at AutoZone. it did have a TCCM problem but I replaced the TCCM last week.

Without a proper scan tool, you're throwing parts at it and wasting money. Call the wrecker.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Without a proper scan tool, you're throwing parts at it and wasting money. Call the wrecker.

The Tech 2 would be the way to check it out before the mechanicals get checked. It indicated the problem mine had ('04 Auto TC) with the switch mode indicator showing 4x4 but the TC actually in Auto. I knew it was in Auto by the way it worked but the switch was wrong. It ended up being the encoder motor (again).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pepper1700

Latest posts