Transfer Case Noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thomsponmichael

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello all, I was wondering if anyone knows much about the NP8 transfer case. I have a noise coming out of the front of mine and I am not sure what it is. I was once told that some or one of the clips goes bad in there and lets go. I rubs on the case and sometimes rubs all the way through. Does anyone know about this? I could take it apart and fix it but, it is now our only vehicle and I don't want to chance it. If is is just the clip, it wouldn't be a problem. Thanks for any and all help!!!

OP
OP
T

thomsponmichael

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It happens even with no load like neutral, forward or backward. It doesn't really sound like a bearing, it gets louder as it goes faster. It also doesn't change in 4 hi, low or 2 wheel drive.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
it would be a bearing, synchro or bushing. I would say the problem is on the main shaft thou. You should be using a blue colored lubricant called autotrac 2 can you verify this? If you need SM info to teardown and assemble let me know. Or part diagrams.

OP
OP
T

thomsponmichael

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I don't think that is the lubricant that is in there. It seems to me that it is ATF. We were on the road late last spring and had a u joint take out the adapter and I am pretty sure it was red ATF puking out. That is what the trans shop put back in too. The owner's manual says to use ATF too. Is it wrong? Yes, I would like the parts diagrams and tear down and install instructions. That would help me a lot. It has been over ten years since I was a mechanic and I haven't been into something that deep in a long time. Thanks a lot!!!:)

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
The np8 requires autotrac2 not atf like the non-auto4wd do use.

from alldata:
Automatic Transfer Case NVG 246-NP8 Automatic Transfer Case Fluid (GM Part No. 12378508)

There was a Service Bulletin about it. Try switching it out you will need about 2 quarts $7-10 each at a local dealer or online. Try that first before tearing down. The service info will take a bit to compile so PM me you email address and I will work tonight. You will need one more official post here in order to Private Message so add to your thread with one more post and you should be good to PM.

OP
OP
T

thomsponmichael

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sounds good. I know GM had some slipment trouble with some of their stuff so, that sounds right to me. I used Alldata before and they are always right on. I am not sure of the PM thing. That oil will not solve the noise, right?! Also, it is one of the clips for the oil pump that goes bad I guess. :Handshake:

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
Click on upper right hand of page and you will find a message from me and the rest should be easy. Among some other change it did have a friction modifier for the internal clutch. I know of no clip issue but I think the issue you mentioned is this:

Drivetrain - Noise/Vibration/Leaks/Slipping in 4WD File In Section: 04 - Driveline Axle
Bulletin No.: 02-04-21-005A
Date: February, 2003
TECHNICAL
Subject:
Slips in 4-Wheel Drive, Noise, Vibration, Leaks, Hot Odor (Diagnose and Repair Front Differential and/or Transfer Case) Models:
1999-2000 Cadillac Escalade
1998-2002 Chevrolet S-10, Silverado, Blazer, Suburban, Tahoe
2002 Chevrolet Avalanche
1998-2002 GMC Sierra, Sonoma, Jimmy, Suburban, Yukon, Yukon XL
with Autotrak Transfer Case (RPO NP8) (Selector Pad on Instrument Panel Must Have Auto 4WD, 4HI, 4L0, and 2HI Selections) This bulletin is being revised to incorporate changes to the diagnostic procedure. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 02-04-21-005 (Section 04 - Driveline Axle).
Condition
Some customers may comment on any of the following conditions:
^ Slips in 4WD ^ Noise ^ Vibration ^ Leaks ^ Hot odor Cause
The front axle may have excessive preload in the pinion or carrier bearings or may be locked up not allowing the pinion to rotate freely. Vehicles with a NVG 236 or 246 transfer case (RPO NP8) have a preload in the clutch pack of the transfer case that supplies torque to the front driveshaft at all times. The front and rear driveshafts should be rotating at approximately the same speed (the front driveshaft display on the Tech 2(R) may be slightly higher but never less than the rear).
Diagnostic Tips
1. Position the vehicle on the hoist and raise the hoist until all four wheels are off the ground. 2. Connect the Tech 2(R) to the vehicle. 3. Start the engine. 4. Select the following screens on the Tech 2(R): ^ F0; Diagnostics ^ Vehicle model year ^ LD truck; MPV; Incomplete ^ F0; Powertrain ^ Vehicle engine ^ 4-speed automatic ^ 2 speed Active ^ F1; Data Display ^ F2; ATC Data Display ^ F0; Transfer Case Data 5. Select 2 HI with the transfer case selector switch. 6. Apply the service brake and move the transmission selector lever in any forward gear. 7. Release the service brake. 8. Observe the front and rear propeller shaft speeds displayed on the Tech 2(R). The front and rear driveshafts should be rotating at approximately the same speed (the front driveshaft display on the Tech 2(R) may be slightly higher but never less than the rear). If they are not, skip to the Correction section below. If the driveshaft speeds are approximately the same, diagnose for other conditions that may be causing the concern. If the vehicle is stationary, the front propeller shaft should not rotate freely. It may take up to 54 N.m (40 lb ft) of torque to turn the front output shaft of the transfer case. If the front axle for any reason does not allow the front propeller shaft to spin while in the 2WD setting, the clutch pack in the transfer case will overheat because of the speed difference (slip) across the clutch pack between the stationary front driveshaft and the rotating rear driveshaft. Correction
For vehicles with the NPB transfer case option (Autotrak with push-button selections for 2HI, Auto 4WD, 4HI, 4L0 and Neutral) only, when a vehicle comes in for issues with the front axle, the transfer case should also be inspected for overheating by inspecting for burned fluid or a free rotating front driveshaft. In addition to correcting front axle concerns, necessary repairs should be made to the transfer case.
Parts Information
Parts are available from GMSPO. Order as required.
Warranty Information

For vehicles repaired under warranty, use the table.

Disclaimer

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
warock56

Latest posts