Transfer case noise ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

James Ward

2015 Tahoe LT
Reaction score
Hi Merry Christmas and this is most likely a stupid question , but hay, it's Christmas Eve, so here goes. I changed my Transfer case fluid, with brand new fresh Mobil Dexron VI fluid 2.4 quarts and it makes a low kind of a "whine" when in 4WD gear, is this normal ?

Last edited:

sealandsky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Merry Christmas and this is most likely a stupid question , but hay, it's Christmas Eve, so here goes. I changed my Transfer case fluid, with brand new fresh Mobil Dexron VI fluid 2.4 quarts and it makes a low kind of a "whine" when in 4WD gear, is this normal ?
If you are running in 4WD (not auto 4WD) you may well hear a whine, especially if you are on a non-slippery road surface. Additionally, you should not drive on a non-slippery surface in 4WD or you'll tear up your drive train. I've noticed even a very faint hum or whine when driving on the highway in "auto 4WD" as the transfer case is engaged and spinning. Merry Christmas!

OP
OP
James Ward

James Ward

2015 Tahoe LT
Reaction score
Thank you, I did run in 4WD for a 10 minute drive from the gas station to my driveway, about 1.5 miles. And once I switched back to 2WD, all was normal again. But should I drive in "Auto" ? I always drive in 2WD and that is fine and silent. Where I live we get a touch of ice and snow, so rarely, use 4WD ( some times I drive my ex up to the mountains to see her kin) and then I would have use for it. But in 2015 it was standard in LT and LTZ models. And thank you for your advice. Happy Holidays !

sealandsky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you, I did run in 4WD for a 10 minute drive from the gas station to my driveway, about 1.5 miles. And once I switched back to 2WD, all was normal again. But should I drive in "Auto" ? I always drive in 2WD and that is fine and silent. Where I live we get a touch of ice and snow, so rarely, use 4WD ( some times I drive my ex up to the mountains to see her kin) and then I would have use for it. But in 2015 it was standard in LT and LTZ models. And thank you for your advice. Happy Holidays !
I'm on my second Yukon and live in Minnesota so have a lot of variance in weather and road conditions. What I've figured out is this:
Dry pavement (or wet pavement highway driving) - 2WD
Heavy rain, light snow, variable road conditions, dirt / gravel roads (patchy snow / ice) - 4WD AUTO
Snow covered roads, heavy snow, steep off-road - 4WD
Drag race - 4WD AUTO

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thebull12