Trans Temp Sensor Compatibility

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just bought a gauge cluster with trans temp in it and I want to try to get it to work with the NV4500. The NV4500 does not come with a trans temp sensor of any kind but it should be fairly easy to add since the NV4500 has a PTO port on each side and there are PTO coolers available that space the cover out a few inches and one even comes tapped with a sight glass. My plan was to buy a PTO cooler, weld a bung to the cover with the correct threads for a sensor and plug it in like normal, the problem is I'm not sure what sensors will work. I see a factory 2500, 6.0 trans temp sensor that looks like this first picture. Clearly, there are no direct threads and instead, the sensor plugs in and is sealed with an O-ring and held in place by a mounting bolt. I'm not sure how I would be able to adapt that to fit directly into a PTO cover as shown in the second picture.

Does anyone know of another sensor that could be plug-and-play? Or is the trans temp gauge simply looking for a 1-5v signal and maybe a universal sensor like this would work?

amazon_icon.gif Amazon

mp_sensor_9764094219fbc18b024c5a2adbc4412f0e543fde.png

51A3AdsL3bL._AC_.jpg

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if youre trying to connect back to the stock (4l60 im guessing) wiring... may want to do some more googling than i just grabbing the first diagram to pop up but:

4L60E_internal_schematic1.gif

it looks like a simple resistance sensor - could prob get away with an ECT sensor or something it will go up to 260* i think. otherwise youd have to find what the range/scale is on the internal transmission sensor and find something with similar range, simple two wires back into the stock harness

OP
OP
Dantheman1540

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe this will work, awfully expensive for a temp sensor. I Will have to do a different plug on the truck side I think. I wonder if that sensor would read the thick gear oil as opposed to the thin ATF, I don't see why not.

Don't mind me just talking to myself.

Attachments

• 4l80 temp sensor.PNG
    4l80 temp sensor.PNG
    460.7 KB · Views: 2
OP
OP
Dantheman1540

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if youre trying to connect back to the stock (4l60 im guessing) wiring... may want to do some more googling than i just grabbing the first diagram to pop up but:

View attachment 346264

it looks like a simple resistance sensor - could prob get away with an ECT sensor or something it will go up to 260* i think. otherwise youd have to find what the range/scale is on the internal transmission sensor and find something with similar range, simple two wires back into the stock harness

great diagram if it's correct! I haven't even looked at the factory auto harness but if all I have to do is pull 2 wires and make a new pigtail then that is cake.

OP
OP
Dantheman1540

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea imma guess you dont need a 125$ sensor, figure out the range i cant imagine its any more than an coolant temp sensor which are like 20-30 bux

That's what I was thinking to start with, I have a bunch of old sensor laying around that are likely good. WIll be easy to test once the cluster comes with a pot of hot water and a temp gun.

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score

looks the same to me - i would give it a shot with a plain ol coolant temp sensor

OP
OP
Dantheman1540

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score

looks the same to me - i would give it a shot with a plain ol coolant temp sensor

Damn your good! My google doesn't work as well you must have a way with words

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fitransmission