Trans shifting in cold weather

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

k1970

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I found this (see photo plz) in the Owner's Manual. My car has a tru cool 40k cooler. According to the manual, is it safe for the trans parts to drive while the fluid is too cold?

٢٠٢١٠٤٢٩_١١٤٣٥٢.jpg

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
are you basing this 40k off a visual cue or because it was in the manual. the manuals aren't exactly specific to the vehicle they are in and will list features you do and dont have. regarding your question its always best to give a vehicle some warm up time prior to throwing it in gear but overall yes its fine. manual even states shifting may feel different while its cold but its normal.

OP
OP
k1970

k1970

Full Access Member
Reaction score
are you basing this 40k off a visual cue or because it was in the manual. the manuals aren't exactly specific to the vehicle they are in and will list features you do and dont have. regarding your question its always best to give a vehicle some warm up time prior to throwing it in gear but overall yes its fine. manual even states shifting may feel different while its cold but its normal.

Actually I notice it in my car, in winter the shifting is different and the vehicle seems to be heavy..

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
The tru cool is an aftermarket add on, so it won’t be mentioned in the owner’s manual. So I expect Khalid has seen it and knows what he has.

Nothing to fear from shifting a cold transmission, the programming is adapted to those conditions, it may just shift at different RPM and speeds than it will when warmed. These are tested and operated in arctic conditions so no worries.

The only potential negative issue with big accessory coolers is if the transmission does not warm up sufficiently to drive off moisture from the fluid. Very unlikely except in cold climates. Trucool makes a thermostat bypass for those conditions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skimask