Trailering Camera System

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brian196

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just picked up my 2022 Yukon Denali and one of the options was the Enhanced Trailering Technology Package. It doesn't look as though I can use this camera on my boat trailer so wanted to know if anyone was interested in buying this camera from me. I believe it is deigned for a box/camper trailer. Keep in mind that I believe you need the special connect by the 7-pin connector in order to use it. This is brand new in the box. Here is a link to what I have.
Make me an offer.

https://accessories.gmc.com/product/trailering-camera-system-85004154?

Keg0brew

Reaction score
As a boat owner, I’d be curious as to why it won’t work with a boat trailer. Surely there is a way to temporarily mount it somewhere so that it will work properly.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As a boat owner, I’d be curious as to why it won’t work with a boat trailer. Surely there is a way to temporarily mount it somewhere so that it will work properly.
I went through this whole thought process as I was ordering my vehicle...ultimately decided not to order, here are the reasons:
1) Camera is not submursable, so cannot mount it on the trailer
2) For the "transparent trailer" stuff to work, camera has certain height mounting rquirements, which are hard to do on a boat unless you rigged up some sort of a mounting pole in the trailer
3) #2 could be ignored, as it still may be beneficial to at least have a backup cam available, but, reality is, only way I could think to make it work was some sort of elastic band around my outboard that held the camera, but if you have an inboard or stern drive, this doesnt work.
4) #3 Might have worked, but then you have to somehow route the cable temporarily through your boat, then remove it at the ramp to go boating, then do it again after putting your boat back on the trailer. Net, no permanent way to mount the camera, so it's uninstall, reinstall every time you go boating. Who wants to do that after a fun day on the lake?
5) Wasn't clear from any GM tecnical support/info my sales guy could gather, that the shape of a boat trailer was even compatible w/ the software for transparent trailer...

So, for $750, wasn't worth it to me.

@brian196 may have a little trouble selling that, as anyone who actually got provisions for the camera to hook to the truck, also got a camera -- but if someone has 2 trailers, or needs a second cam for inside the trailer, he may find someone interested...

It's too bad GM didn't take boats into consideration on this tech, as my guess is there are a LOT of Pickup and SUV owners who have boats...

Keg0brew

Reaction score
Thanks for the detailed response.

My trailer has vertical guide poles to guide the boat into the trailer. They stay well above the water (unless I screw something up big time). Based on what you know, do you think installing on top of one of those may work for me? (Similar to below pic)

1652284707389.jpeg

OP
OP
B

brian196

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
@brian196 may have a little trouble selling that, as anyone who actually got provisions for the camera to hook to the truck, also got a camera -- but if someone has 2 trailers, or needs a second cam for inside the trailer, he may find someone interested...

It's too bad GM didn't take boats into consideration on this tech, as my guess is there are a LOT of Pickup and SUV owners who have boats...
yes. I was thinking maybe somebody with a couple trailers. Unfortunately my dealers parts department won’t take it back for a credit on accessories I actually want.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes. I was thinking maybe somebody with a couple trailers. Unfortunately my dealers parts department won’t take it back for a credit on accessories I actually want.
Might expand your posting to include places where pickup guys frequent. Would think maybe there are lots of people w/ Horse Trailers, fifth wheels, etc who may be interested...and tech has been available in the Pickups since 2019...

jgraves

Reaction score
Just picked up my 2022 Yukon Denali and one of the options was the Enhanced Trailering Technology Package. It doesn't look as though I can use this camera on my boat trailer so wanted to know if anyone was interested in buying this camera from me. I believe it is deigned for a box/camper trailer. Keep in mind that I believe you need the special connect by the 7-pin connector in order to use it. This is brand new in the box. Here is a link to what I have.
Make me an offer.

https://accessories.gmc.com/product/trailering-camera-system-85004154?
It may help to post your approximate location. I'd be interested if you were local (Ottawa, Canada). I'm intending to run interior and exterior cameras on an enclosed motorcycle trailer (if GM ever accepts my order).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2DoeProjectHoe

Latest posts