Trailer Wiring - software

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pa31p

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Question about a message on the new truck that keeps popping up after each stop with trailer attached, pull away “Trailer connect” comes back on and then disconnects again at lower speeds.

“Check trailer wiring” did not get it with my 2023 5.3L and same trailer so new Yukon Duramax is suspect

First outing with Duramax/Winnebago.

Plug pinout I checked out, all working, could this be software?

Will drop at dealer somtime next week offcourse but pulled the TRL BATT fuse and seems to make a difference, connects right away in campground.

Attachments

• IMG_0329.jpeg
    IMG_0329.jpeg
    697.7 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Chad G 1979

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Might want to double check your trailer ground connection. May be loose somewhere and causing the issue. I have yet to tow with my ride, but others have mentioned issues with trailer connection issues. Dont recall what resolved them, but i had a trailer that wouldn't light up consistently and i went thru the wiring and found the ground was rusty. Just a thought

OP
OP
pa31p

pa31p

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for reply- First thing I checked was trailer grounding. all lights work normally and checked with multimeter between car/trailer ground, did not see any issue, connection was 0 Ohms.

Not sure what triggers the message but only other thing I can think of is one or more of the brakes are missing a ground, but…I did tow trailer back with “old” Yukon and Tekonsha P3 with zero errors/issues

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Get a code reader on it to see what the actual code is. Until then, it's a guessing game. Even after that, it might still be.

If it's still under warranty, see the dealer. There have been more than a handful of folks that have had to get repairs made.

OP
OP
pa31p

pa31p

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok- think I may have found the cause

I removed the TRL Battery fuse, solving the issue 100% on trip home

My guess the factory brake controller does not like LifePO4 trailer battery voltage or something else about Lithium.

Trailer battery is charged by Solar on the road so don’t care about charging along the way by Yukon.

topaq

Reaction score
Ok- think I may have found the cause

I removed the TRL Battery fuse, solving the issue 100% on trip home

My guess the factory brake controller does not like LifePO4 trailer battery voltage or something else about Lithium.

Trailer battery is charged by Solar on the road so don’t care about charging along the way by Yukon.
Yup, it seems GM integrated factory brake controllers are very sensitive to variations in voltage as well as ground. My problem was that the paint on my WDH bars had rubbed off and the brake controller was finding an alternate ground through the hitch, especially when going around corners. Was driving me nuts. Had tried everything else, even changed the connecting plug from the trailer. Solved when I put on plastic pads on the L-brackets on the trailer to reduce noise.

kjfatl

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi Question about a message on the new truck that keeps popping up after each stop with trailer attached, pull away “Trailer connect” comes back on and then disconnects again at lower speeds.

“Check trailer wiring” did not get it with my 2023 5.3L and same trailer so new Yukon Duramax is suspect

First outing with Duramax/Winnebago.

Plug pinout I checked out, all working, could this be software?

Will drop at dealer somtime next week offcourse but pulled the TRL BATT fuse and seems to make a difference, connects right away in campground.
I'm seeing the same thing on my 2023. The problem is most likely due to the tow vehicle, not the trailer.

OP
OP
pa31p

pa31p

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have a few more trips with the trailer now. The (higher) LifePO4 battery voltage seems to cause the issue. with the TRL Battery fuse pulled the issue is resolved it seems. I added the lifepo4 battery to the trailer when I got the new Yukon Duramax, hence I did not see that issue with the 5.3L.

krbjmpr

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Is the problem unique to late(st) generation? My 2012 Yukon SLT does not seem to have a problem towing my trailers. Both are LFP conversions, 200ah and 400ah, 14.2-14.4 battery voltage. I charge using solar when parked, and converter when plugged in, but off vehicle when moving. Both trailers have Renogy charge controllers between Yukon and batteries.

200ah system charges off 7way (20a limited) and 400ah charges at 50a (max) via SB175 andersen power poles (yeah, overkill).

I pulled the power pole harness this morning, trailer has been sold. Buyer is paying a HEFTY premium to install on her 1ton :)

When not pulling, alternator goes above 14.2, have seen it at 14.5 per TorquePro.

I have also noticed that I can pull power from 7way, and Yukon does not register trailer connected. Its not until the lights harness, incl flat 4 on Uhaul trailers with LED lights, trips whatever sensor and trailer is recognized. I do have to use a brake box between travel trailers and Yukon, but not on Uhaul trailers.

My brake controller is a Curt bluetooth model (don't buy one!) until I can find solution for OEM and not a box hanging under the dash. With the bluetooth, there is not a brake controller connection between Yukon and trailers.

Incidentally, I have had to run my tow vehicle off trailer in past when alternator went sideways in middle of Wy. Different vehicle (1997 F250HD). Not fun, but got me to civilization and a a parts store.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
22loweryak

Latest posts