Trailer Brake Controller necessary for me?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

altona

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now I get it. So I could buy the Denali without the brake controller but I must have one if I tow and so I would need to buy an aftermarket one like the curt echo.
So better to just buy a new truck with the built in to avoid the hazzle and get better cooling on top of that. Since I plan to pull >5.000 I will look for another truck. Thanks guys
Ordering a new one with max tow is a very tall order. Been on constraint for months with very low availability. May not see it this model year at the least.

R32driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I'm totally new towing. No experience whatsoever
You might just find yourself on one of those entertaining youtube videos where the guy in the fancy new rig with the fancy boat behind it tries to back down the boat ramp for 20 minutes while the crowds grow to watch the spectacle...

DenaliCountry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As others have mentioned, if your trailer has electric brakes you will need a brake controller for the trailer brakes to function (all RV Trailers over a certain weight should have them). My boat trailer and enclosed snowmobile trailer both have electric brakes and having had the built in controller on my previous tahoe it was a requirement (even though I tow the boat 2x per year to the lake and to storage). Also as others have mentioned the max trailer packaging if towing a lot is worth the $500 add due to the added cooling, etc. Having it integrated into the dash and the added trailer features that come with the truck with this package are a no brainer if you're doing any towing.

All that said, the max trailer package has been a constraint when ordering so unless you're ordering or buying a top trim package (High country or Denali) you are likely not able to get it at this stage. A lot of the early builds had max trailering package and then they started to get sparse. If you happen to find a truck without it the GM accessories catalogue has the controller linked below that can be added to the dash, giving it a more built in feel VS the other brands that mount under the dash by your feet. Even with this considered I still felt like it was worth waiting/finding the right truck with the max trailer package given the additional features that come with it.

altona

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a quick install note on that GM accessory. GM no longer puts the connector plug on the 4 wires up under the dash. They are taped to the backside of the harness with a white wiring diagram tag. Can't see it. So feel for it. Real cheap move by GM thar cost many members a lot of hours figuring it out.

Keg0brew

Reaction score
I think if you order a High Country Suburban or a Denali, you will get it...constraints tend to hit the lower trims harder...

I've got a Denali with Max Tow being built next week. They are building them, maybe just not quickly.

If there is any chance whatsoever the OP plans to tow over 5,000lbs as they mentioned, I would consider the max tow package a must have. And not for the controller, but for the enhanced cooling components. I personally would not be towing over 5k pounds without them. Too much potential for tranny and engine issues without them.

KOTAHOE

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just a quick install note on that GM accessory. GM no longer puts the connector plug on the 4 wires up under the dash. They are taped to the backside of the harness with a white wiring diagram tag. Can't see it. So feel for it. Real cheap move by GM thar cost many members a lot of hours figuring it out.
Yes you are so right about that, that is wrong on all levels. I've had to do so much research on how to add tis brake controller to my 2007 tahoe. I ordered everything and waiting for it to arrive on the 17th of this month. I'm looking forward to installing it myself instead of paying about $400 for someone else to do it.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure why this is made so hard. On my 2016 F-150, I was able to buy an OEM controller, pop off the dash cover, remove the little cubby that had the harness clicked to the back of it, put the controller where the cubby was, plug in the harness and give the dealer $50 to flash the vehicle to tell it it had a brake controller and viola, I had factory brake control. I was also able to buy the upgraded harness and plug that in where the 4-pin was at and was good to go. Very modular.

LonIowa

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm about to buy a Yukon Denali / Tahoe (not finally decided yet but most likely it's going to be the Denali) and I'm wondering if I should look for one with the Trailer Brake Controller. I will be using the truck regular highways 95% of the time but we're thinking of buying an RV soon.
We're not sure yet if we will end up with an RV but that's something that we have in mind right now. A small boat might also be on the bucket list down the road. However, I would say that we will drive the truck 90-95% of the time without a trailer.

I spotted a really nice Denali 6.2 without the brake controller and I'm wondering if I should better keep looking for one that has it. We're not in a rush actually... it's just that it would be nice to get a new truck and this particular Denali is priced fairly well, and I'm not sure if it's worth waiting for another one.

So what's your thoughts? Is it a must have or will we be fine when occasionally towing?
I recommend you look and find the Yukon that you like, but don't make it a deal breaker if it isn't equipped with a trailer brake controller. Installing a after market trailer brake controller is very easy. My experience over the years is that I prefer the after market controller. I too have been using the Tekonsha P3. No matter what. I recommend towing with a brake controller!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tahoe Belgium