Trailer Brake Controller necessary for me?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xycrazy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm about to buy a Yukon Denali / Tahoe (not finally decided yet but most likely it's going to be the Denali) and I'm wondering if I should look for one with the Trailer Brake Controller. I will be using the truck regular highways 95% of the time but we're thinking of buying an RV soon.
We're not sure yet if we will end up with an RV but that's something that we have in mind right now. A small boat might also be on the bucket list down the road. However, I would say that we will drive the truck 90-95% of the time without a trailer.

I spotted a really nice Denali 6.2 without the brake controller and I'm wondering if I should better keep looking for one that has it. We're not in a rush actually... it's just that it would be nice to get a new truck and this particular Denali is priced fairly well, and I'm not sure if it's worth waiting for another one.

So what's your thoughts? Is it a must have or will we be fine when occasionally towing?

Cliff-Yukon

Reaction score
You don't want to rear end someone 5-10% of the time, do you?!? Just kidding! Totally depends on the what you are towing. First for the controller to work what you are towing must be equipped with functional brakes (you'd be surprised with how many trailer brakes don't work.) If the RV will be heavy I'd suggest it. It's not that you are bad driver - it's the folks that pull out in front of you or jam on their brakes at the last moment.... Having the assist and controlling the assist of the trailer brakes is nice. You can adjust it for a heavy/light load etc....

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Your State has trailer brake requirements for weight, so do some research. Trailer brakes will likely be required with any trailer over 3K lbs or so. Again, that can vary by State. If you go aftermarket, look into the Tekonsha P3 for an excellent electric brake controller.

OP
OP
X

xycrazy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, that's news to me. Glad, that I created this thread. Well, I'm totally new towing. No experience whatsoever so please forgive me if I come up with some newbie questions.
I understood I need trailer brakes given the fact that I'm in IL. How does it collaborate with the brake controller? If I have trailer brakes and I don't have the brake controller what happens? It should brake anyway, or no? Do I need the brake controller to engage the trailer brakes?! Would that I mean I can't tow (legally, not technically) a large RV without the brake controller?

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, the trailer brake controller comes w/ the Max Trailer Package, which also includes enhanced cooling...my view, even if you are NOT towing, extra cooling for the engine and transmission is NEVER a bad thing. I have actually never understood why anyone would buy one of these rigs and not add the max towing package...you bought the truck, give it its max capability.

altona

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must have a controllervto activate your trailer brakes.

Look at Curt Echo for the easiest setup by far.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ok, that's news to me. Glad, that I created this thread. Well, I'm totally new towing. No experience whatsoever so please forgive me if I come up with some newbie questions.
I understood I need trailer brakes given the fact that I'm in IL. How does it collaborate with the brake controller? If I have trailer brakes and I don't have the brake controller what happens? It should brake anyway, or no? Do I need the brake controller to engage the trailer brakes?! Would that I mean I can't tow (legally, not technically) a large RV without the brake controller?

You need a brake controller to activate the brakes on the trailer; otherwise the trailer is going to push your Tahoe around, increase the stopping distance, and the Tahoe's brakes will wear out prematurely. A controller sends voltage back to active the magnets that are on the hubs, and those magnets engage the brake shoes. A good proportional brake controller will vary the voltage to vary the braking power, depending on how much the truck brake is applied.

There's a video on this site that might help: https://www.rvtalk.net/how-do-electric-trailer-brakes-work/

Also, etrailer.com would probably have a general video about trailer brakes.

Last edited:

Keg0brew

Reaction score
One point of clarification here…

On boat trailers, many of them have surge brakes, not electric brakes, and you don’t need a controller for those. The extra cooling however is important depending on boat weight. For my boat (~6,500lbs) I got the max trailering package for the cooling components, the brake controller is just an added, un-needed, bonus.

So, as others have said, knowing what you are going to be towing is of utmost importance.

OP
OP
X

xycrazy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now I get it. So I could buy the Denali without the brake controller but I must have one if I tow and so I would need to buy an aftermarket one like the curt echo.
So better to just buy a new truck with the built in to avoid the hazzle and get better cooling on top of that. Since I plan to pull >5.000 I will look for another truck. Thanks guys

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, the trailer brake controller comes w/ the Max Trailer Package, which also includes enhanced cooling...my view, even if you are NOT towing, extra cooling for the engine and transmission is NEVER a bad thing. I have actually never understood why anyone would buy one of these rigs and not add the max towing package...you bought the truck, give it its max capability.
Because that package has been on constraint so often that getting it or not getting it was the difference in whether you got a vehicle at all.
I’d rather have a vehicle without it and add a controller than wait 6 months or never to get it….