Toyo AT3 Road Noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DenaliCountry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all - I just installed a set of 295/55R20 Toyo AT3's on my 2022 Denali. These are an E load range/10ply tire, I have them aired up to 42-45lbs. These things are crazy loud on the highway. I know it's an AT tire so I expected a little extra noise but these are excessively loud in my opinion. I went through custom offsets so I can't return the tires since I have driven on them. My question is, they offer these in a 285/55R20 or 275/60R20 which are both an 8ply tire. Will these provide any reduction in noise due to the softer sidewall or should I expect them to be equally as loud? I am also between the same sizes on the BFG KO2 as I have had good experience with these tires and don't recall them having a lot of road noise. I am just not sure I can drive 50K miles on these things with the noise (I must be getting old!!).

I know there are complaints on these trucks for having a lot of road noise even with the factory setup so maybe I am just being overly sensitive to it since they were recommended by Custom Offsets when I was leaning more towards Nitto Recon Grapplers or KO2's.

Any input or experience is appreciated.

Duraburb22

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi all - I just installed a set of 295/55R20 Toyo AT3's on my 2022 Denali. These are an E load range/10ply tire, I have them aired up to 42-45lbs. These things are crazy loud on the highway. I know it's an AT tire so I expected a little extra noise but these are excessively loud in my opinion. I went through custom offsets so I can't return the tires since I have driven on them. My question is, they offer these in a 285/55R20 or 275/60R20 which are both an 8ply tire. Will these provide any reduction in noise due to the softer sidewall or should I expect them to be equally as loud? I am also between the same sizes on the BFG KO2 as I have had good experience with these tires and don't recall them having a lot of road noise. I am just not sure I can drive 50K miles on these things with the noise (I must be getting old!!).

I know there are complaints on these trucks for having a lot of road noise even with the factory setup so maybe I am just being overly sensitive to it since they were recommended by Custom Offsets when I was leaning more towards Nitto Recon Grapplers or KO2's.

Any input or experience is appreciated.
I’ve run the tires in a 285/50R22 on my 2022 suburban for the past 17K miles. They’re a little louder than stock but not too bad.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Turn the stereo up, and you won't hear them. :) Just kidding.

I purchased Michelin Defenders, partially because folks told me that they ran quiet, and they do.

OP
OP
DenaliCountry

DenaliCountry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Turn the stereo up, and you won't hear them. :) Just kidding.

I purchased Michelin Defenders, partially because folks told me that they ran quiet, and they do.
Haha, that's my next option.

Custom Offsets won't let me swap them out unfortunately (wish I would have went through Discount Tire as they allow you to swap out if you are unhappy within reason, at least they have in the past). They are offering me a heavy discount on an alternate tire so working through that now. I may end up stuck with these but we'll see.

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you think they are loud, be glad you didnt get the M/T or the R/T. Stupid loud tires.

The A/T 2 would have rode quieter, as the sipping is narrower. But for what these tires are, yea, they are going to be loud!

OP
OP
DenaliCountry

DenaliCountry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you think they are loud, be glad you didnt get the M/T or the R/T. Stupid loud tires.

The A/T 2 would have rode quieter, as the sipping is narrower. But for what these tires are, yea, they are going to be loud!
I was actually surprised at how loud they are. everything I read about them said they were quiet and the sales guy at CO also said the same. Now, they are an E load tire so I was already a bit concerned about that as I didn't want a harsh ride. Ride is 'ok' at this point but the road noise is dumb lol.

ljn21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m not an expert by any stretch but I don’t think load rating/ply will affect road noise noticeable. It’s the tread pattern that makes the noise. Load rating/ply will affect the ride quality. Load range E/10 ply will be stiffer than a load rang C or D/8 ply or metric spec.

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put them on my wifes ‘22 high country, in a 305/45/22 which is the xl version (more street friendly than the load range e’s). They are nearly silent in my opinion.

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m not an expert by any stretch but I don’t think load rating/ply will affect road noise noticeable. It’s the tread pattern that makes the noise. Load rating/ply will affect the ride quality. Load range E/10 ply will be stiffer than a load rang C or D/8 ply or metric spec.

From my understanding the softness of the rubber is actually different between the e’s and xl’s, which does have an effect on road noise.

OP
OP
DenaliCountry

DenaliCountry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put them on my wifes ‘22 high country, in a 305/45/22 which is the xl version (more street friendly than the load range e’s). They are nearly silent in my opinion.
That's good to hear, probably why I am getting mixed reviews online around road noise as it's dependent on what load rating people are buying couple with the weight of their vehicle. They make these in a P rated tire which is an XL equivalent but would need to go down to a narrow size (285/55/20 which is about .4" shorter than the stock height and about .5-1" narrower, all fine by me). Was going to look into those. The ride on these is no different than the stock bridgestones on 22" wheels so I guess not a big issue with ride, however, the road noise is really frustrating.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts