Toyo AT3 Road Noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tiki

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are louder than KO2s, but I don’t think dropping down to the BFGs will get you the reduction in noise your looking for.

ljn21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From my understanding the softness of the rubber is actually different between the e’s and xl’s, which does have an effect on road noise.
Maybe a little, again I am no expert, but I doubt the rubber compound is different between load ranges. It’s the number of plus/layers that change with load ratings in most cases I think. I would wager a bet you wouldn’t be able to tell an audible difference between load ranges. Maybe a little due to the softer sidewalks of the lower load rating allowing the tire to have more contact with the road surface at the same PSI could add some noise but I doubt that would be discernible by bare ears either.

GMCnewbee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know what the recommended pressure is for those tires, but I would try dropping the pressure down to 32 psi and see if there is any difference. I am not a fan of high tire pressure. The vehicle sticker recommends pressure in the 30's. Try it.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You basically put on a tough a$$ heavy duty on but mostly off-road truck tire. Nothing about it will be quiet or smooth or cushy. You can't have it both ways without some negatives. Your tire salesman lied to you.....

OP
OP
DenaliCountry

DenaliCountry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You basically put on a tough a$$ heavy duty on but mostly off-road truck tire. Nothing about it will be quiet or smooth or cushy. You can't have it both ways without some negatives. Your tire salesman lied to you.....
Yeah I expected some road noise, I knew going in due to it being A/T tire. BUT man these are loud as $hit. I agree, tire guy was just looking to make the sale (he also disappeared on me after I paid for the order, never responded to requests for updates on shipping, etc but that's a whole other story). I am pretty annoyed by that but am also willing to accept the consequences of my ignorance/stupidity LOL. They are trying to make it right, offering a different tire at their cost + shipping. However, I am not sure what tire I would go with and definitely don't want to do another "test" run on another tire I'll be stuck with. I had good luck with the BFG's in the past on 2 of my Duramax's but those trucks aren't a quiet ride so could have drowned out the noise a bit.

I called Toyo and they said that the AT3 in a P rated tire/XL load tire would provide a quieter ride but I am skeptical. They confirmed that the rubber compound is the same regardless of load range so I don't expect them to be quieter. So I may be stuck with these or stuck going to a more all-season tread pattern which doesn't excite me but I'll keep searching to see if I can find something I like.

Last edited:

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Purchase the tires that you want, and sell these essentially new tires on Craig's List. Better to "accept the consequences of my ignorance/stupidity" with the price cut that you will need to accept on Craig's List for your loud tires, and have quiet tires for the life of the other tires.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DenaliCountry

DenaliCountry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Purchase the tires that you want, and sell these essentially new sires on Craig's List. Better to "accept the consequences of my ignorance/stupidity" with the price cut that you will need to accept on Craig's List for your loud tires, and have quiet tires for the life of the other tires.
Fair point haha.

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I expected some road noise, I knew going in due to it being A/T tire. BUT man these are loud as $hit. I agree, tire guy was just looking to make the sale (he also disappeared on me after I paid for the order, never responded to requests for updates on shipping, etc but that's a whole other story). I am pretty annoyed by that but am also willing to accept the consequences of my ignorance/stupidity LOL. They are trying to make it right, offering a different tire at their cost + shipping. However, I am not sure what tire I would go with and definitely don't want to do another "test" run on another tire I'll be stuck with. I had good luck with the BFG's in the past on 2 of my Duramax's but those trucks aren't a quiet ride so could have drowned out the noise a bit.

I called Toyo and they said that the AT3 in a P rated tire/XL load tire would provide a quieter ride but I am skeptical. They confirmed that the rubber compound is the same regardless of load range so I don't expect them to be quieter. So I may be stuck with these or stuck going to a more all-season tread pattern which doesn't excite me but I'll keep searching to see if I can find something I like.
I am seriously baffled that they are that loud. Sound levels and annoyances are obviously different from one person to the next, but i shit you not, the 305/45/22 at3’s i put on my wifes high country are barely noticeably any louder than the stock street tires. We went on a several thousand mile trip from michigan to florida and back this spring and there wasnt one time anyone said a single peep about loud tires.

One thing to mention about the xl rated tires is the tread depth is much less, too. I would think that would contribute to a quieter ride.

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
9AA83572-CAF0-4FDB-915D-3390CBAA5CFA.jpeg10k miles on them so far. Hardly any wear. No cupping or anything. Have done a few rotations already.

sanman28

Reaction score
I have 305/65/18 AT3’s. Not bad at all for an AT tire. Had a pair on my 2500hd also. Aside from mud terrains, the warn geolander XAT’s on my expedition were loudest.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mimi66972