Towing with a 2007 Yukon XL 2500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

avalonandl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Post- Let me give you the background. I have a 2015 Silverado crew cab Duramax. Love the truck, it tows like a beast. It's way more truck than I need. I only tow my boat ( 35 ft Donzi center console) about twice a year 50 miles. I only have 27k on the truck. I live in Mich. so NEED 4wd. Other car is a fun car. The Michigan roads beat me up in this truck. Its an HD so its stiff ride.

I feel I could sell the truck and pick up a used XL or Sub. 2500. About 30k in my pocket that way.

The Yukon 2500-2007 I found has 6.0 but 3.73 axles. I could have them switched to 4.10.

I used to have an 04 Avalanche 2500 w/ 8.1 and 4.10's- it rusted out from under me partially due to me living on a chlorided dirt road-its worse than salt.

I am not afraid of the 4L80 trans and I dont need a rocketship while towing.

What does the TahoeYukon brain trust say.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If all you’re towing is the boat a couple of times a year and you’re close to the max gvwr you may be able to leave it alone unless it’s steep hills or heavy stop start. Tow mode changes the shift point enough to get the job done I do basically the same thing twice a year but my boat only weighs 4k.

jsoltren

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't know chlorided roads were a thing until just now. I've always lived in a city. Yikes. Could an undercoat help with that?

I've got a 2013 Yukon XL 2500. It's great for occasional towing. Lower maintenance cost than the diesel. If I were towing all day every day there would be no question that Duramax is the way to go. For a dozen or so 2-3 hour trips per year the 2500 is perfect. I have the 6L90 and really appreciate that lower first gear when starting on a 3.73 axle. 4.10 would just waste gas for 80% of my driving.

But man the ride is not great. I've got KYB MonoMax shocks. It rides harder than my '01 Denali did with the same shocks and auto ride delete (coil springs in the back). Softer shocks might help. I prefer the harder ones for better stability and handling when towing or in traffic.

Asia Motors, Chicago Motors, and Motorsource, all in the Chicago area, have a steady flow of old government and police 2500s.

OP
OP
avalonandl

avalonandl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The boat is 9k and I will be over the tow rating, which is not my issue. I just want to be able to tow without struggling. Yes its flat in michigan.

What is the option code for 4.10 axles. I haven't seen the vehicle yet, need to check the codes in the glovebox.

bfourman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would look for a 08+ to get the 6L90. The 4L80 is a great trans but seriously lacks when you’re between 2nd and 3rd; i.e. bogging in 3rd but taching out in 2nd.

If you’re coming from a Duramax you will be disappointed with the 6.0 in front of a 4 speed. My 09 Burb 2500 is leaps and bounds better at staying in the power band vs my 00 XL 2500.

The 09 tows better stock than the 00 did with a 93 octane black bear tune, largely because of the trans.

Derick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like Byron said, go for an 08+ for that 6 speed. I wish my burb 2500 had it.

Now, that said, if you're expecting a cush ride....you're in the wrong place. The 2500 SUVs are not luxo-cruisers. I dont mind the insane bounce to the vehicle...but I hit certain seams in the highways around here, and I'm damn near airborne. I like feeling the road, I want to have that input, so I'm fine with it. Some might not be. I would venture to guess that the dmax might be more comfortable, due to the extra weight the suspension is helping manage.

Now, with that weight, a few obvious things. I would suggest a weight distributing hitch, and I would suggest the suspension enhacement bumpers. They replace the old rear bumpstocks and help it get up to a 3k payload capacity. I pulled my camper with an awful 1500 lb tongue weight, and both those helped manage the weight and it never sagged.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2500s are made to tow so they ride better with a load on whether its a Suburban or a Silverado.

The 2007 Suburban 2500s had the aforementioned 4L80 with a limited tow rating with 3.73 gears and smaller u-joints. 2008 corrected all that like the other guys mentioned.

2012-2013 are the ultimate with Hill Start Assist, Trailer Sway Control and Cruise Grade Braking - Normal. 2013s added Powertrain Grade Braking - Normal Mode.

2009 introduced Bluetooth, 2010 added USB ports and 2012 introduced the updated Nav units.

The 2500 SUVs did not get the updated suspension in 2011 like your Silverado, the wheels on all of the Suburbans will be the older bolt pattern for example.