Towing mileage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tacky

Reaction score
I have to agree with rjackson, it sounds normal to me. I struggle to get 10 mpg on flat roads with the cruise at 61 mph.

Sasquatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When i tow my yamaha rhino on my 6x12 trailer it`s slighty over 2200 pounds with two passengers and three large dogs and 2-300 pounds of other junk i get around 15.5 mpg going 70-75 in upstate ny which is annoyingly hilly, Up and down the entire trip.

I have 275/55/20 tires 3:42 gears BB 93 octane tune with a CAI and a catback exhaust.

With the same amount of people and stuff in the back not towing i`ll get 18.5 going 75-80.

rdstrattan

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm an odd duck in this crowd since i have a 2-mode Hybrid Tahoe, 2008, with 120K miles, but I get 12-13 mpg towing my vintage Chevrolets on a tandem axle flatbed (open) trailer if stay below 65 mph. About 5500 lbs trailer weight and maybe not as much frontal area as a camper, but close. Non-towing it delivers 19-21 mpg, city or highway. To bad they quit making the hybrid.

Martinjmpr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds about right. I bought my '04 Burb for the express purpose of towing a travel trailer. We have a very small trailer, a T@B (looks like a teardrop but you can stand up in it), weighs ~ 2000lb loaded for travel.

At moderate highway speeds my MPG averages 10 - 12. What is interesting is that prior to the Suburban I had an '07 Toyota 4runner with the 4.0 V6, and it got nearly the same MPG while towing.

I think 9 - 11 MPG is within the normal range for a 3k+ trailer.

DenaliEd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, mileage is more about weight and drag than anything else. If it wasn't, then these trucks would get 29 MPG when you shut 4 cylinders off, because that's half as many cylinders. But it takes that much fuel to keep the truck moving down the road, regardless of the cylinder count or the horsepower. That's why a Corvette can get nearly 30 MPG, because it is lighter and has less drag, even though it has 100 more HP and .9 more liters than a 5.3L Silverado/Tahoe/whatever.

Matahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I get about 9 or 10 mpg on a level grade towing my 7500lb travel trailer. As far as improving your gas mileage then you might want to check your knock sensors. I used to have preignition while towing. When I replaced my intake manifold gasket to track down a vacuum leak I decided to replace both knock sensors and their harness at that time. I had major water intrusion which caused them to heavily rust. Since then I have not had any preignition noise.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fishcop076