Towing a U-Haul trailer *concerns*

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PoPoPPV

Full Access Member
Reaction score
May not be related to the trailer rental, but.....

I am about to have to haul a single axle 5'X8' trailer from here to Rockwall, TX and back. It will be loaded with camp gear and personal items for 15-20 teens going to youth camp. It's really not too far, about a 750 mile round trip. I'm a little concerned about pulling a rented trailer, as the last time I pulled a Uhaul I had to replace the rear pinion seal on my Yukon XL the following week.

I am going to ask the tech if/when the trailer had maintenance (etc.) before I hook-up.

So am I worried for nothing?
I guess the seal failure could be unrelated, bu the timing was sure suspect. Also, any other tips or advice?

Thanks in advance!

WillCO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unless it's full of boulders, I'd think a 5x8' trailer would be easy work for your Tahoe. I pull a single axle pop-up camper and the truck barely loses MPG.

Certainly, U-Hauls are of unpredictable condition - my childhood is full of colorful stories where we had to take them back and one or twice we didn't even make it! With a simple 5x8 trailer though, you might be OK driving around the block with your windows open, just to see if you hear any strange noises or feel any inappropriate vibrations coming from back there.

Anything can happen, but nothing seems inherently risky about this. It's exactly what the Tahoe is built to do.

Last edited:
OP
OP
PoPoPPV

PoPoPPV

Full Access Member
Reaction score
True, true. I just hate not knowing anything about the trailer. But I'm committed to the deal, either way.

nadthomas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would really tahoe/yukon could pull a small trailer that distance with seized axles and square tires without causing a problem. About the best you can do is ask about trailer maintenance history, and like others suggested drive it around the block to see if anything seems off with the trailer. If you are really concerned about it, perhaps when you get it home throw a jack under the trailer, and make sure the wheels spin free.

Stresst

Full Access Member
Reaction score
May not be related to the trailer rental, but.....

I am about to have to haul a single axle 5'X8' trailer from here to Rockwall, TX and back. It will be loaded with camp gear and personal items for 15-20 teens going to youth camp. It's really not too far, about a 750 mile round trip. I'm a little concerned about pulling a rented trailer, as the last time I pulled a Uhaul I had to replace the rear pinion seal on my Yukon XL the following week.

I am going to ask the tech if/when the trailer had maintenance (etc.) before I hook-up.

So am I worried for nothing?
I guess the seal failure could be unrelated, bu the timing was sure suspect. Also, any other tips or advice?

Thanks in advance!

What does your leaking pinion seal have to do with a Uhaul trailer?

OP
OP
PoPoPPV

PoPoPPV

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am not a mechanic, just a dude with a truck I don't want to mess up...... just sayin'.

And, as I stated it may have nothing to do with the Uhaul. But, there is a reason why the seal suddenly started leaking. The increased load of towing the trailer, especially if the wheels of the trailer were not free spinning, could add to the stress of the load. That trip was definitely under different circumstances as the trailer was loaded down with heavy furniture and appliances.

Its entirely possible the seal hardened with age or bearing wear caused the leakage. But like I said, I'm committed to the trip so I'm all in. I will definitely pick up early enough to scope it out.

Thanks all.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
your seal issue is most likely unrelated to pulling a trailer. however as everyone stated about inspecting the trailer easily put its a rental. that alone automatically means every time its used it gets the crap kicked out of it and is probably not used correctly half of the time. definitely dont want to be pulling a trailer and have something go wrong.

David Smith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my personal opinion, pinion seal going bad due to a rental trailer is completely unrelated. I would just your rental trailer a good look over. If the wheel bearings have zerk fittings, request that they be topped off. Take it for a "test drive" for a few miles. Get it up to speed.

I really do not think you have much to worry about, but for peace of mind, take 30 mins or so and pull it around town before you leave for your trip.

clogan2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You didn't mention it, but have you considered your trailer ball height? A 5x8 trailer is likely to have a tongue that is much closer to the ground than is the Tahoe hitch. I use an 8" drop ball on my Tahoe to tow my 5x8 trailer, and I still have to take care going over certain bumps, because the trailer tail gate may drag.

Said another way, a trailer's tongue should be roughly parallel to the ground, but the Tahoe's hitch height makes that impossible unless using a hitch with a very, very large drop.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KCW_Andrew