Tow hook to Shackle Conversion for 2000 - 2006 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Rough Country has tow hook conversions for truck years before and after ours but none for ours. I actually like my bumpers and I don't want to spend $2000 buying a new bumper just so I can use a D-ring.

Does anyone know of a company selling a tow hook to shackle mount conversion for my 2004 Tahoe?

Donal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I have seen some from a HUmmer that may work. they had a D ring attached to a mounting plate. I will look around. Would you want a driect bolt in with an eye with a captured shackle, or an open eye to attach a shackle?

OP
OP
Carolina Brown
Reaction score
Here are some options:
tow hook to shackle mount conversion for 2004 Tahoe -- 1
tow hook to shackle mount conversion for 2004 Tahoe -- 2
tow hook to shackle mount conversion for 2004 Tahoe -- 3

Also, watch for part outs on FB Marketplace, Craigslist, etc.; some of those vehichles will have the shackles you want if I am understanding what I think I am.
all those links are just to D-rings. I want to remove my factory tow hooks and replace with a mount that I can then attach a d-ring to in the factory tow hook location...that's why I titled it "tow hook to shackle mount conversion".

OP
OP
Carolina Brown
Reaction score
I think I have seen some from a HUmmer that may work. they had a D ring attached to a mounting plate. I will look around. Would you want a driect bolt in with an eye with a captured shackle, or an open eye to attach a shackle?
I want to convert my tow hook to shackle mount using factory bolt holes.

It looks like the Hummer H2 uses a frame insert but I don't know if that insert would fit our trucks. Does anyone else?

Alex_M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They look similar but not the same. It is possible they could be made to work, but it would take some modification.

The factory hook uses one bolt side to side thru the frame, and a second bolt further back that comes up from the bottom and threads directly into a tang cast on the tow hook.

You could potentially drill the frame for the second bolt on the H2 recovery point, or drill and tap the H2 recovery point to accept the factory 2nd bolt that comes in from the bottom, assuming they are the same width. I would say chances of them being the same width are good but not guaranteed.
Another consideration is that it looks like the H2 recovery point comes straight out of the frame, where as the factory Tahoe/Silverado/Suburban hook drops down after exiting the frame horn. Well, that is true on the 1500s only. 2500s come out straight because the body sits higher in relation to the bottom of the frame due to the 3/4 ton frame being taller.

The part you are looking for would not be a terribly difficult fabrication project, but unless you can (or want to learn to!) fabricate them yourself, fabrication time gets expensive. Usually $65 an hour on the low end going north of $100/hr on the high end, and that is probably a roughly 4 hour fabrication project.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DenaliRoyal