Tow/Haul Button Problem on 2009 Tahoe - not a broken wire

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gmartin1215

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Howdy.

I just recently have the Tow/Haul button no longer working on 2009 Tahoe. I did read that the orange wire from the shifter may be broken. However, when I took the steering column housing off and inspected the wire, it was not broken. I did try moving the wire why pressing the button and was able to get it to work, but further playing with it has caused it to not come back on. So something is loose. Seemed to be close to where the wire goes into the shift lever. I am guessing at this point that I need to get a new shift lever assembly since I do not have a visible wire break.

Are there other things to check, such as a fuse or relay, that I should inspect before I buy a new lever?

OP
OP
gmartin1215

gmartin1215

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did put it M and it worked occasionally there. not any more. However, it used to work on D all the time

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the wire breaks inside which is why it will sometimes work in other positions (makes a connection in different positions), I fixed mine on one vehicle by cutting the wire and patching in a new one, if you do not want to patch it or replace the shifter then you can just install a bump switch and wire it in, all that button does is send a momentary ground to the bcm, so you could just connect a wire and touch it to a ground and it will work. it's really pretty basic

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nyc2011Denali