Tourque converters with 383??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

atvtrailrider

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My 383 is on it's way. Should have it next week. Should I change the tranny torque converter while I have the engine out?

JKmotorsports

Rollin the boosted grocery-getter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^^ Depends on cam specs, gearing, and vehicle weight like blueflamed mentioned.

OP
OP
A

atvtrailrider

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well I just bought it with a blown motor. It is 2wd so I imagine gear ratio is around 3:43 with stock tires but I will probaly put 20's on it. Not sure what size. I would like to lower it but don't want a crummy ride so may stick with stock height.

I do plan on towing a flatbed trailer every once in awhile.

blueflamed03

Supporting Member
Reaction score
well if you go to 20's, depending on tires, gears may help, and depends alot on cam. If it's small duration @ .050, you can sometimes leave stock converter. But a simple inexpensive upgrade without breaking the bank in the TB converter, if you have a L60E. But anytime you add a converter, add a tranny cooler as aftermarket converters generate more heat.

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am running a stock converter in my set up in my sig. 4.56 gears, stock tranny.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Benito r