Torsion Bar Crossmember Bushing Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

huffster329

Reaction score
After doing some research I found that no one has a good write up on the replacement of the torsion bar crossmember bushings. The rubber in the bushing cracks and allows the whole crossmember to sit at an angle and sometimes makes a clunking sound when hitting bumps. I did this on my 2001 Tahoe LS.

The first step is to remove the torsion keys and push the torsion bars forward out of the way. Then remove the two bolts holding the crossmember. Remove the crossmember.
IMG_2554.JPG IMG_2552.JPG

You will see three small tabs on one side of each bushing. You need to push those bushings inward using a chisel and hammer. Then, using a punch, begin beating the hell out of the lip on the bushing. It will slowly start pushing out. I destroyed those bushings getting them out.
IMG_2556.JPG IMG_2558.JPG

OP
OP
huffster329

huffster329

Reaction score
Now you're ready to press in the new bushings. For the passenger side I used a piece from my HF ball joint kit to drive the bushing in.
IMG_2562.JPG
IMG_2561.JPG

Now the drivers side was a while different story... The frame does not allow any room to drive in that bushing. Using a threaded rod, some washers, a couple pieces of pipe, and some components from my HF ball joint kit... I was able to press that bushing in.
IMG_2564.JPG IMG_2568.JPG
IMG_2571.JPG

I will get the part number for the bushing and post it here. I think they cost me $40 each.

Let me know if you have any questions and I'll try to help the best I can.

shreksbrother

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice write-up, thanks. Where did you get the bushings? I bought the entire assembly and had to press the new bushings out of the new assembly to put into the truck.

wafflecakes13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After doing some research I found that no one has a good write up on the replacement of the torsion bar crossmember bushings. The rubber in the bushing cracks and allows the whole crossmember to sit at an angle and sometimes makes a clunking sound when hitting bumps. I did this on my 2001 Tahoe LS.

The first step is to remove the torsion keys and push the torsion bars forward out of the way. Then remove the two bolts holding the crossmember. Remove the crossmember.
View attachment 180041 View attachment 180039

You will see three small tabs on one side of each bushing. You need to push those bushings inward using a chisel and hammer. Then, using a punch, begin beating the hell out of the lip on the bushing. It will slowly start pushing out. I destroyed those bushings getting them out.
View attachment 180044 View attachment 180045

Were the symptoms you described the only ones you experienced from the bad bushings?

OP
OP
huffster329

huffster329

Reaction score
Were the symptoms you described the only ones you experienced from the bad bushings?
Yes, I noticed a clunking sound when hitting bumps. Also, the bad bushings were causing the crossmember to sit at an angle. The tension from the keys is a lot on the rubber bushing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chubbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some guy on another board was talking about what all he needed besides a welder for this R&R, haha

I copied the link for him so Hi5 to you bub

Justinj360

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is there no way to change the bushings without having to remove the keys?

Taylor Griggs

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My dealer is giving me grief saying this part number isn’t correct, has anyone went and bought the bushing for this lately?