Tire sizes for 97 4x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

t_farr95451

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi everyone this is my first post to this site, seems pretty cool so far. I just had a few questions about my tahoe, here is a little about it. 1997 Chevy Tahoe, 4 door, 4x4, stock heighth, with 20" F5 solid chrome wheel, and 285/50/20 tires, nerf bars. Now, I have a lot of snow where im at, and want to get rid of the wheels, and tires, and want to put some more aggressive tires on there, to help with the snow, etc. Something like some BFGoodrich All Terrains. Question, I want to know whats the biggest size tires I can put on the tahoe without having to worry about rubbing alot. Im not huge on 4 wheeling or crawling, etc. Also, I want to see if you can put 15" rims on it as well. Even though the stock size RE 16", Can I put 15s on there without having to worry about the brakes rubbing, or anything like that. Thanks, Tom

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am told a 15" wheel can fit but it's really close, you may need to grid the caliper a little. With that said you might want to stick with a 16" wheel with similar back spacing to the stocker (5-5.5" right?) . I also would not run a really wide wheel either, 8" wide should be plenty for you. As for tire size, a 265/70/16 will fit with no cranking and no rubbing. I ran a 305/65/16 on my stock wheels but over bumps it rubbed the inner fender. I run an 8" lift in teh front of mine and can scrub the 35s sometimes.

raptorforme93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A good option, but I dont think they have a beefy enough tread for what he wants. I dont have a tape measure on me but it looks like those might also be a little bigger than 15". Just a guess though :) OH, and they look like shit :)

GMC Yukon

Reaction score
I live in Ohio and the winters are bad!!! I also plow with my truck. I look at it like this ... The tires are the last thing between you and the road. I run Michelins LTX M/S 265/75R16 and I love them... Nice ride and plenty of bite!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Manofaltes