Time to step up to 2020 over the motor oil for the Blazer 350!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

James Ward

2015 Tahoe LT
Reaction score
OK so I have decided to go Synthetic 10W / 30 for the Blazer 350 V8. And I spent a lot of time watching
Youtube on the series "Project Farm" and others, and no matter how you toss it Amsoli seems to come in lead. So if you go to Amazon, there in is the snag. When compared to the next highest raking oil "Pennsoil"10W/30. The situation is there is no way to get any feedback form anyone who's bought it in the past. That's because no one can buy Amsoil unless your in the club, despite the fact that Amesoil cost 3 time the best synthetic oil on the market. So all I'm going to get is A. the Amsoil local rep. and but the cost is the same 3 time as much as the second best Pennsoil 10W/30. Of course you can become a Amsoil special customer which costs $20.00. Personally I get a headache looking this whole thing so I bought a 5 GT jug of Pennsoil 10W/30. Crazy . . .

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Engine oil...

This thread could turn into pages upon pages of opinions, quoted this, research that, my feedback, your experience, my latest black stone lab oil analysis read this with “X” oil but read that with this “Z” brand oil.

I’m on my 3rd GM vehicle with an LS/LT based V8 motor often with mods and pushing out over stock power levels with over 80K, 150K, and 200K miles plus. Amsoil makes a great product, I typically use all their engine and gear oil. Is it expensive, yes; But it’s pennies compared to the cost of a catastrophic engine failure.

Not all products in life are “you get what you pay for” but I’m comfortable with the price of Amsoil.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Use Amsoil and gear oil in my boat. No room for Just Ok there.

Boatguy272

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use amsoil in everything also. Factory recommended weights.

I also only use amsoil for gear oil in all the boats I work on. It 100% has made a difference.

mstaake415

Reaction score
AMSOIL makes great products. I use many different products of theirs on a frequent basis. But AMSOIL isn't the only good oil out there. Even Walmart Supertech is good oil... if you're going to use AMSOIL Signature Series, their top of the line oil, then use it for the extended drain intervals it's rated for... 15K miles for severe service and 25K miles for highway driving. If you dump it every 3K miles it's a huge waste of money.

OP
OP
James Ward

James Ward

2015 Tahoe LT
Reaction score
AMSOIL makes great products. I use many different products of theirs on a frequent basis. But AMSOIL isn't the only good oil out there. Even Walmart Supertech is good oil... if you're going to use AMSOIL Signature Series, their top of the line oil, then use it for the extended drain intervals it's rated for... 15K miles for severe service and 25K miles for highway driving. If you dump it every 3K miles it's a huge waste of money.

Can't argue with that, But I do mostly around town of I go out. So in many way I don't do the engine any favors.

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thought about changing from Mobil 1 to Amsoil years ago as I hear nothing but things about it.

I am a creature of habit. Been using Mobil 1 since the early 80's in my Impala's,Caprice's,Cadillacs and now in my Tahoe.

In Miami I had use of a company 99 Suburban which easily made it to 300K miles [a lot of idle time to keep the interior nice and cold] before the boss gave it over to his 16 year old son. Only Mobil 1 5w30 went in it. With that said I am sure Amsoil would have worked just as well.

I admit I am extremely biased when it comes to XOM products.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK so I have decided to go Synthetic 10W / 30 for the Blazer 350 V8. And I spent a lot of time watching
Youtube on the series "Project Farm" and others, and no matter how you toss it Amsoli seems to come in lead. So if you go to Amazon, there in is the snag. When compared to the next highest raking oil "Pennsoil"10W/30. The situation is there is no way to get any feedback form anyone who's bought it in the past. That's because no one can buy Amsoil unless your in the club, despite the fact that Amesoil cost 3 time the best synthetic oil on the market. So all I'm going to get is A. the Amsoil local rep. and but the cost is the same 3 time as much as the second best Pennsoil 10W/30. Of course you can become a Amsoil special customer which costs $20.00. Personally I get a headache looking this whole thing so I bought a 5 GT jug of Pennsoil 10W/30. Crazy . . .

You going to be turning 7000 rpms at the local SCCA event or running the Baja 1000 with this thing? I wouldn't think an occasionally driven street car is going to make full use of the benefits of high end oils like Amsoil. On the other hand, you may just want to spoil your baby and give it the best.

Oils and oil filters are a funny thing, there are dozens of kinds with 10x as many opinions for and against! For twenty plus years we used FRAM oil filters in our cars, but not our race cars or in the LS in my truck! LOL Those get filters that cost much more even though the FRAM has never given us any trouble. Pennzoil is readily available across the nation.

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What year Blazer? What have you been using up to now? Not sure I'd recommend any synthetic oil for an older engine, especially if it has regular tappet lifters. Newer motors have roller tappets, coated skirt pistons, tight bearing clearances, seals designed for the new oils with very low barrier lubrication additives. Be a good experiment but might cause some regrets later on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
patrickleeleep