Time for some new tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you are driving primarily on pavement, IMO, the Michelin Defenders are the way to go. I cannot comment from personal knowledge regarding the best tires for off-road use.

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ko2 are absolute shit. I had two sets on my 13 z71

the first set 275s (E) were at 3/32” by 22k with 5k rotations Discount tire warrantied those out.

The second set were 285s (E)was at 5/32” with 26k on them, I did a 4K rotation at every oil change. Those were also warrantied out by discount tire as they were doing the rotations and documenting the excessive wear

I also purchased a five year alignment package from tire Kingdom – I had the alignment checked every 8000 miles and documented

During wet rain you might as well be driving with oil on the tires-it was damn near suicidal. On dry pavement they rode very nice, we’re smooth and gripped rather well. Very little noise until they started wearing down.

they were replaced with Goodyear Dura track 285s (D). I have had them on now 28,000 miles and have just reached the 50% wear level. The Goodyear Dura track tires stick to the road like glue when it’s raining; it’s actually quite impressive. They are getting slightly noisy as they wear but that is to be expected.

Would be a cold day in hell before I ever bought a set of BFG At again. Mine is not an isolated case – an Internet search will clearly provide you thousands of results of others complaining of the extremely poor wear and horrible wet pavement performance.

The only downside to the Dura track tires is a “weak side wall”. That’s coming mostly from rock crawlers and others who go really heavy duty off-road. For mild trail riding, hunting and every day family use of the vehicle these are perfect. I intend to buy another set the second these wear out.

Its hard to argue with people when they have bad experience with a particular set of tires. Especially when it happens a few times in a row like yourself. Sometimes I feel as if there are defective tires that get sent out in batches that do not get caught by the manufacturer.

I have had good luck with my sets of bfg’s in the past. I have had ko2’s and km2’s. I have read oodles of reviews about bfg tires from people having the worst luck and will never buy them again to people raving about how they are the best tire they have ever had and will buy nothing else ever again. Its kinda a crap shoot.

I chose falken wildpeak atw3’s for my truck this last time and have been thoroughly impressed.

K2 Kaiju

Full Access Member
Reaction score

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you get these? Noticed them really inexpensive online, and they look cool, but the direction of sidewall pattern seems like it reverses when you have to rotate them...

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Nope, its a non-directional tread pattern, meaning it does not change weather you spin them around or not.

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check out the Falken AT3W they are affordable, quiet, look great and perform very well in the soft Florida sand. They also have the deepest tread depth of any other AT out there.

BrandonW

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I run stock size duratrac (E) on my 13xl. Run them at 50psi. Lost some mpg, and ride softness, gained a lot of faith. Good luck getting them to break traction.

Lt Belspur

Reaction score
Did you get these? Noticed them really inexpensive online, and they look cool, but the direction of the sidewall pattern seems like it reverses when you have to rotate them...

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

I have not got them yet.

I am looking at the Falken ones.

I will let you know which one I get.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645