Time for a new Fuel Pump? Confused...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
change the cap and rotor to delco units. it looks to have problems if you cant get a spark from every wire. especially if it changes as you move other one. following the path of least resistance. I would do the same with the wires. unless you are modding the system, delco only. and unless you have a fuel pressure gauge AND a scanner or dedicated tester that can trigger components manually leave the balance test to a shop. the icm is not really individual testable it just switches the primary coil circuit on and off. its testing is very minor. and the pcm would pop a code if something in that circuit is goofy. the cap problem is definitely possible because of the crossfire design.

---------- Post added at 12:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:17 PM ----------

amazon has delco parts on the cheap.

wires - www.amazon.com/dp/B000S2SRXC/
cap - www.amazon.com/dp/B000BYD3RC/
rotor - www.amazon.com/dp/B000BYGD2O/

---------- Post added at 12:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:21 PM ----------

and make sure the plugs were 41-993 delcos.

OP
OP
N

Nichoms

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it.

I will try to replace the cap tonight, I have a pretty good feeling that is the problem.

I do have a fuel pressure gauge and a scanner. I use HP Tuners so it has the ability to turn items on and off on demand (AC Compressor/EGR/etc...)

I will give an update after I try a new Cap.

OP
OP
N

Nichoms

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well it was the cap. My delphi unit was only about 4 months old! No signs on the interior or exterior of the cap that there was an issue. Replaced it with a new AC Delco unit and it works great! Sounds like a quality control issue to me, there must have been porosity in the injection which allowed the arc to blow through and then #2 and #8 were interacting with each other.

Thanks for all the help everyone!

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

Nichoms

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sorry for the huge delay, just got married yesterday and was busy with planning stuff for the last month or so...

So I couldnt find my old receipt to verify what brand Cap and Rotor I had but switching to a new AC Delco fixed my problem. Here are some pictures of my old Cap and Rotor. Can't see anything wrong with them but there must have been a crack or something internally between 2 and 8 that was allowing them to cross.

Attachments

• Yukon Distributor 1.jpg
    Yukon Distributor 1.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 24
  • Yukon Distributor 2.jpg
    Yukon Distributor 2.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 20
  • Yukon Distributor Cap.jpg
    Yukon Distributor Cap.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 22

Forum statistics

Threads