ticking sound on startup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Krunchy

Reaction score
I have been getting a ticking sound similar to an engine in dire need of oil but that is not an issue oil is fine it only happens when my truck has been sitting for more than 6 hours it goes away once the engine warms up and on hot days it hardly even ticks. I tried a thicker oil with my last oil change and a lucas oil additive which worked for the first 4000km then the tick slowly came back but with my recent oil change the tick is still there at startup

any idea's remedies?

tuffmuff

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2003 5.3 and it does it also. Did the good ol lucas tx and it does fix it for a bit. No one can tell me what it is either.

T3rry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeh, it's valve/pistons ticking, happens until the oil gets to the top of the motor, it has happened on the majority of GM's i have owned.

YNOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
they tried to fix it for 03' but some guys still get it on there 03+

my 03' silverado didn't have it, but my 01' tahoe does a tiny bit

rigo_jones

going against
Reaction score
I have been getting a ticking sound similar to an engine in dire need of oil but that is not an issue oil is fine it only happens when my truck has been sitting for more than 6 hours it goes away once the engine warms up and on hot days it hardly even ticks. I tried a thicker oil with my last oil change and a lucas oil additive which worked for the first 4000km then the tick slowly came back but with my recent oil change the tick is still there at startup

any idea's remedies?

how old is your oil and oil filter? this happens while oil reaches the heads and fills your rod bearings. if your oil filter is old replace it with an oem one it might be blocking your oil. also look for oil with start up protection or add some lucas oil in there.

OP
OP
Krunchy

Krunchy

Reaction score
how old is your oil and oil filter? this happens while oil reaches the heads and fills your rod bearings. if your oil filter is old replace it with an oem one it might be blocking your oil. also look for oil with start up protection or add some lucas oil in there.
The oil is a week old not positive on the oil filter it is supposed to be changed during the oil change but im not under the vehicle so i trust that it was changed lucas oil bottle was added i saw that go in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrRuiz