Ticking noise coming from engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Eric Dortch

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am new to the forum, so please excuse my lack of experience with this stuff

Last edited:

Jacques Hudson

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Short answer: Lifter and Maybe Camshaft. Long story below.

I have a 2017 Yukon Denali (44k miles) and I was faced with the same exact issue about 2 weeks ago. I read a few places that I could maybe solve the issue with a additive that could assist with maybe dirty oil. I tried that and there was no change. About 30 miles it sounded like it was getting worst. Sunday afternoon, I was at the mall and something told me that I need to go to the dealer ASAP. My normal dealer didn't have any available appointments for 2 weeks. Our 3rd nearest dealer had something avail on the next day. I drove straight from the mall to dealer. When got off at the exit, the motor was knocking so bad, check engine and traction light came on. Im so glad I went at that time. The dealer called me 2 days later and said it was the lifters. Then the dealer called me the next day and said the camshaft was damaged as well. Said they had to order the camshaft. Said it would be a few days. I'm not even close to being a mechanic but I know this is a major repair so we'll see how long it really takes.. Its been a week so far. Its covered under warranty. The gave me the smallest Buick crossover that they could find (Envision) for a loaner which I'm pissed about.

Cottonseed

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just picked up a 2015 Yukon and it is making this tickin noise. Repetitive and rhythmic. Does it from cold to warm. Cant hear it inside the cab. Ive read the threads here that say its normal.

Question: if it is a stuck lifter, will it throw a code/check engine light?

tirekicker

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just picked up a 2015 Yukon and it is making this tickin noise. Repetitive and rhythmic. Does it from cold to warm. Cant hear it inside the cab. Ive read the threads here that say its normal.

Question: if it is a stuck lifter, will it throw a code/check engine light?
yes you'll get a code ,i think allot of times people hear the high pressure fuel pump and think it a lifter...also the electric fans will "tick" as well sometimes ...basically these engines sound like crap when they idle

Cottonseed

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
yes you'll get a code ,i think allot of times people hear the high pressure fuel pump and think it a lifter...also the electric fans will "tick" as well sometimes ...basically these engines sound like crap when they idle

gotcha. Thanks man. Here I am reading this forum with my face in my hands as I walked away from a perfectly good 06 Z71 Tahoe with 180k miles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
16yukon