Throttle Body Cleaning @ 24k Miles???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had the Yukon in the shop for an oil change last week. On Pickup, in red, under "Recommended Services -- Need Now" was "Throttle Body Cleaning."

Now, I am familiar w/ the throttle body, the need for cleaning it, and have always done it on my previous GM Full Size SUV's at the first tune up. Never had any issues.

Of course, this beast is GDI, so no fuel flowing in the intake...EGR is close by, I get it.

But, no mention in the service schedule about a cleaning interval. Service writer insisted that it was a recommended by GM required service. I requested he show me in the owners manual or the shop manual or in a TSB the recommended clean interval...his weak attempt was showing me some google search results.

Net, Seems like something that could be needed at some point, but I had like 60k-75k miles in my mind...this feels like an upsell. I declined. May just to it myself in the driveway for a $8.99 bottle of TB cleaner and a beer.

Thoughts?

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did my 2017 at about 80k. It cost me about 1/4 can of carb cleaner, 1 old tooth brush, 3 rags, and 15 minutes of time......oh and 1 beer just because.

Do it yourself and save the $$

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gerardojr83

Latest posts