Third BRAKE light stopped working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jhilario72

Reaction score
On my 2003 Denali XL, I noticed that the third break light stopped illuminating when breaks are applied. The normal break lights go on. Is there a fuse or something that controls the third break light? Or is it a single bulb that burned out?

Thanks!

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
If the CHMSL stands for "Chassis mount stop light". Aren't they all chassis mount? Please break down the CHMSL, thanks.

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When my 3rd brake light went out, I unhooked it and checked the voltage at the plug while I had a helper press the brakes. I did indeed have voltage, so I just ordered a new 3rd brake light from Amazon. I don't believe they have a replaceable bulb, I think you do indeed HAVE to replace the entire housing. It was only about $20-$25 it wasn't expensive at all.

mwilson62000

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does your cruise control still work? If I remember correctly, years ago in my Tahoe, the CHMSL stopped working and I happened to notice my cruise wasn’t working either. Was the brake light switch under the dash.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meandmyhoe20

Latest posts