Thinking of getting a 2017-2022 Tahoe or Yukon. Should I be concerned about the possible suspension repair cost in the Premiere or the Denali?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
S

schmidt1x

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
if potential maintenance cost's are a issue just buy a warranty, then you know exactly where you stand. I have a extended warranty on my 18 I paid $2300 for I might never end up using it, who know's I still have 2-3 more years and around 30,000 miles remaining on it. it's a premium warranty that covers everything except wear items.
if you go that route be sure you FULLY READ and understand what any potential warranty covers EXACTLY. most people do not bother and then get all butt hurt later when they go to use the warranty and sadly discover it does not cover X or Y item. Many things you would ASSUME are covered are not. then you need to know what the co-pay is as there is almost always a co-pay and then you need to understand that most warranty's will cover "rebuilt" replacements and not NEW replacements. It also worth noting that you can also decide to PAY the difference for NEW parts in place of accepting a rebuilt part. Additionally most warranty's also only pay out a max pre-determined labor rate which most shops are willing to agree to but it's worth noting because you could end up being responsible for the additional labor cost's but that kind of thing is usually up-front when having work done.
AND it is also normal for this kind of warranty work to take EXTRA time to get done because the warranty/insurer will want to send a claims agent out to verify the claim is legit and inspect the damages and that can time to arrange.
Thank you!

SpyShops212

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you buy a vehicle and it still has the original warranty then you could get one from GM. Those aftermarket warranty’s are mostly scams. If you can’t get the warranty from GM than call your local dealer and ask the service manager what he recommends because they deal with everyday.

Bigkevschopshop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tahoe:Yukon- 6 sped transmission. Anyone have thoughts on transmission issues? I was just watching a video and the mechanic likes the Tahoe/Yukon as his top choice he mentioned however he sees transmission issues in his shop, especially with the 6 speed.
The 6 speed is tried and true honestly. The 8 speed was a paper weight. The 6 speed can go 200k without a failure if maintained. The thing is to keep the temps down, the thermostat update or bypass is key on these for longevity. I did a updated thermostat and run 140 degrees consistently vs the stock 190 deg.

I do agree with others, the 10 speed is very above and better in every way, alot more refined than the clunk box 8 speed. Dont let a 6 speed rule you out either if your going lower trims. My 15 LTZ 6 has been great after the cooler update... I have heard some guys here say the 8 speed suffered some of the same heat issues and they got alot better after cooler updates also.

Sorry to seem confusing. My preference is as follows after driving everything. 10,6,8 speeds.

the 18th letter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 6 speed is tried and true honestly. The 8 speed was a paper weight. The 6 speed can go 200k without a failure if maintained. The thing is to keep the temps down, the thermostat update or bypass is key on these for longevity. I did a updated thermostat and run 140 degrees consistently vs the stock 190 deg.

I do agree with others, the 10 speed is very above and better in every way, alot more refined than the clunk box 8 speed. Dont let a 6 speed rule you out either if your going lower trims. My 15 LTZ 6 has been great after the cooler update... I have heard some guys here say the 8 speed suffered some of the same heat issues and they got alot better after cooler updates also.

Sorry to seem confusing. My preference is as follows after driving everything. 10,6,8 speeds.
Good info, thanks. I may look at Tahoes as well, just prefer the front end of the Yukon. Maybe retirement will afford me the luxury of an Esky although not likely :D

tdebacker

Reaction score
It's definitely not cheap to replace the electronic suspension, but not as expensive as anything german will be. I just replaced the magneride front strut assemblies and rear air-assist shocks on my '17 Premier and with parts and labor it ended up something like $2200. ACDelco would be more expensive, but they were on backorder. You can add another $300 or more for GM brand.

That's one issue for the Magneride system, finding parts can be hard. The rears were on backorder when I went to buy them.

The air compressors don't typically go out for the air shocks, and the dealerships don't really see failed suspension control modules, either.

When it works, it's awesome. Its a controlled ride and I noticed it stiffens up around corners to aid in handling. Makes my Suburban handle like my previous '19 Impala.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeC