Thinking about swapping my 06 Denali xL from column to console shift

Worth the extra effort to convert column shift to floor shifter?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bdubb

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So i got the idea to convert my Denali from column shift to floor/console shifter. After looking at a column from a 4.3 Stick shift Silverado, it looks like the columns are interchangeable. the wiring inside would need to be switched over but that's about it. The manual trans trucks weren't available with steering wheel controls. I also looked at the floor shifter from a Trailblazer SS. Doesn't look like to much work to mount it in the Denali. Just needs a mount made to bring it up a few inches higher than it is in the SS. The SS shifter cable also looks like it will be long enough to work. The overdrive button on the shifter handle can even be wired as the tow/haul bottom that's normally found on the column shift lever.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I think it would be a cool idea. Looking forward to seeing the progress
X2. Sounds like a great idea. I'd love to see how it turns out.Screenshot_20181128-140259_Samsung Internet.jpg
Grabbed this screenshot off the forums. This is the trans tunnel on the nbs Tahoe. Looks like it was meant to be there.

Last edited:

SSE1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've always wished that GM would've located the shifter in the console , I'm anxious to see how it turns out for you

01DenaliHiker

Reaction score
I literally spent an entire night googling because of your post. I'd be interested in seeing the SS shifter in your body style, but the best look I've seen with about eight hours of googling is a Silverado/Sierra rear entertainment console with a B&M megashifter 80680 protruding through the slot left of the cup holders with a modified boot. Removing the column shifter and splicing your wires together keep your P alert and indicator functional even with the floor shifter. Seemed like a easy enough job with patience to get the test fit right before snugging everything. Plus, slap shifters just make you happy.

...... You've inspired me to spend even more money now. :yuno:

IMG_5798 (768x1024).jpg

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I literally spent an entire night googling because of your post. I'd be interested in seeing the SS shifter in your body style, but the best look I've seen with about eight hours of googling is a Silverado/Sierra rear entertainment console with a B&M megashifter 80680 protruding through the slot left of the cup holders with a modified boot. Removing the column shifter and splicing your wires together keep your P alert and indicator functional even with the floor shifter. Seemed like a easy enough job with patience to get the test fit right before snugging everything. Plus, slap shifters just make you happy.

...... You've inspired me to spend even more money now. :yuno:

View attachment 214564
That looks sweet!

adriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never!!!!
That's not my fault most people would rather be lazy and let the transmission decide on which gear they should be in. I like to have as much control over my 3 ton bullet as I can.

Sure looks like the floor pan is separate, and probably easier to keep the same stamp for all of them, then to make a new one just to not have the area separated for the manual trans...

Also, I thought they did come in manual around the world. Wasn't a manual an option in South America or Mexico? Probably Africa too if they ever did it. The Silverado/sierra weren't assembled at the same places as the Tahoe/Yukon (AFAIK), but that doesn't mean the pans weren't stamped at the same place. Someone else might know easily, but I have no clue on the process, (just throwing stuff out there).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kkkkpppp