Things to repair while engine is out.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LargeSarge

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2005 GMC Yukon SLT 4wd. It has 188k miles. I am replacing the 5.3l engine with a 74k mile 2006 Yukon engine. The newer engine is getting the common seal/gasket upgrades like oil pan gasket, oil pick up o ring,intake manifold gasket and new injectors/o rings. I will also be replacing the trans cooler lines and steering shaft/plastic bearing. Is there anything else I should look at while I am in there?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2005 GMC Yukon SLT 4wd. It has 188k miles. I am replacing the 5.3l engine with a 74k mile 2006 Yukon engine. The newer engine is getting the common seal/gasket upgrades like oil pan gasket, oil pick up o ring,intake manifold gasket and new injectors/o rings. I will also be replacing the trans cooler lines and steering shaft/plastic bearing. Is there anything else I should look at while I am in there?
Motor mounts? Torque converter?

03yukXL

Reaction score
Trans lines tend to leak on those at the flex fitting. Far easier to replace with the motor out. Same goes for any repairs for power steering lines, steering box, idler arm etc. use ARP bolts on the exhaust manifolds. Replace intake and lifter valley gaskets.

Reaction score
Rebuild the transmission if it hasn't yet been rebuilt. If at 188k it's on borrowed time.

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check for brittle wiring in the engine bay, and replace any suspect runs. Perform "the big three" wiring upgrade. Check the windshield wiper fluid reservoir and the tubing going to/from it. We've had to replace them on some of our trucks. Replacing that stuff is likely easier with the engine out. Checking it definitely is.

You might want to take a close look at your battery tray. If it's rusty, either replace it or clean it up and rattle can it to prevent further/future rust.

Take a look at your exhaust system. Maybe replace the header studs so they don't crack/break on you later.

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check for brittle wiring in the engine bay, and replace any suspect runs. Perform "the big three" wiring upgrade. Check the windshield wiper fluid reservoir and the tubing going to/from it. We've had to replace them on some of our trucks. Replacing that stuff is likely easier with the engine out. Checking it definitely is.

You might want to take a close look at your battery tray. If it's rusty, either replace it or clean it up and rattle can it to prevent further/future rust.

Take a look at your exhaust system. Maybe replace the header studs so they don't crack/break on you later.
Great thoughts. I’ve had to patch up my washer lines a few times, and it’s a PITA getting to them. I am currently without that function, as my “patch” has failed again, and I haven’t taken the time to install the new line I finally bought. (Where the heck is that anyway…?)
:hmmm2:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9

Latest posts