thermostat helps performance?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Robert.K

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see alot of guys talking about upgrading there thermostat. what benefit does that have? whats a good thermostat to go with?

Mr.Martin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
order the 160 degree thermostat from a ls1. Summit has them for 60 bucks. the temp gauge will never go above 1/4. Stock should always sit 1/2.

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

blueflamed03

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would think it would hamper, the newer engines like and need to run 205/210 degrees.

OP
OP
Robert.K

Robert.K

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I put the RP coolant additive in yesterday, and instantly my temp went down from 210 to around 200 if i had to guesstimate. not a big difference during the day, but I could notice during the night time when things were alot cooler. Just wanted to know about the t-stat thing.

Eagle

Thansk for all the help -STAFF!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the problem with T-stats is that if you get too cool you get out of closed loop and start running strictly off the warm up tables.
that leads to increased fuel consumption and less power, not more.

there is no reason to go to a cooler T-stat unless you going to reprogram for it, and even then results may vary.

Last edited:

Clemsonbloz

Reaction score
the engine is designed to run at the temp that it does stock. altering this will cause more fuel use, and more engine wear,, as the running clearences in the engine are based on that engine running 195ish,, not 160.. people install colder t-stats when they throw a ton of timing in the engine,, to keep cylinder temps down and prevent detonation.

NoChrome

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the engine is designed to run at the temp that it does stock. altering this will cause more fuel use, and more engine wear,, as the running clearences in the engine are based on that engine running 195ish,, not 160.. people install colder t-stats when they throw a ton of timing in the engine,, to keep cylinder temps down and prevent detonation.

This is what Im thinking, if you have the engine tuned for 160* with the matching t-stat, it should make more power. but on a stock motor the cooler tems wont help much if any.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laurents10