There's a 2008 6.0L from a 2500 available for $800 near me...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Charlie207

Charlie207

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh the good days when a pre love LY6 can b had for $600!

He even threw in the starter.... cleaned it up and tested it at the Toyota dealership it was stored at.

I just wish I wasn't so happy about the $600 aspect, and asked about the ECU.. He's looking for it now, but my hopes are usually pre-dashed for situations like this.

DesertRat

Reaction score
Sure. If he swaps the cam though, eliminating VVT, then some amount of tuning will need to be done regardless. At that point it doesn't matter too much.

OP
OP
Charlie207

Charlie207

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sure. If he swaps the cam though, eliminating VVT, then some amount of tuning will need to be done regardless. At that point it doesn't matter too much.
What tuner did you go with?

Looking at your signature I see you have an LY6 swap w/the LMG 5.3 injectors.

I already have a BlackBear tune, and I imagine they could send me a canned tune to get the LY6 started/running, but it would be nice to have the 6.0 ECU on hand anyways. I haven't heard from the seller in a couple days, so I doubt that'll happen.

Why did you delete the VVT? I was planning on keeping it, but need to do some more reading.

How do you like your cam choice? I'm leaning towards that Truck Norris cam, but it's actually out-of-stock at BTR. What valvesprings and pushrods did you go with?

DesertRat

Reaction score
I went with HP tuners, had a friend help get it to start (startup air) and then took it too a dyno shop (still debating whether or not I wasted money on that). If you have the time, you can do it yourself with HP tuners (their forum is good resource). Patience is needed for something like this swap using the 5.3 computer. There are some differences between 6.0 and 5.3 tunes, beyond just AFM and VVT. It's important that whoever does the tune is at least aware of some of these differences. For example, 3 people looked at my tune and no one pick up that the intake manifold volume value was for a 5.3 and not a 6.0 (cathedral port vs rec port). This one item threw off prediction calcs made by the ECU. Main affect was with brake pedal feel. I'm still making adjustments and comparing stock tunes.

My LY6 is from a junkyard and I knew at a minimum I would take it down to the short block. At that point, just cam swap it. Didn't care to **** around with VVT.

Overall I like it. Initially no strictly because of the tune. With a 4x4, auto and a K&N (now gone) I'm 300 & 300 at the rear wheels with 87. There's definitely more there, but it's a lot of fun in the dirt right now and so I'd rather put money into the suspension, etc.

I just purchased the cam kit through BTR which included springs. I didn't opt for pushrods. Their gasket kit has everything too, save for I think valve cover grommets. Overall very easy with everything I purchased through them.

One thing to note is the injectors. I used the ones from my 5.3 because they flow more. Check out onallcylinders.com

OP
OP
Charlie207

Charlie207

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went with HP tuners, had a friend help get it to start (startup air) and then took it too a dyno shop (still debating whether or not I wasted money on that). If you have the time, you can do it yourself with HP tuners (their forum is good resource). Patience is needed for something like this swap using the 5.3 computer. There are some differences between 6.0 and 5.3 tunes, beyond just AFM and VVT. It's important that whoever does the tune is at least aware of some of these differences. For example, 3 people looked at my tune and no one pick up that the intake manifold volume value was for a 5.3 and not a 6.0 (cathedral port vs rec port). This one item threw off prediction calcs made by the ECU. Main affect was with brake pedal feel. I'm still making adjustments and comparing stock tunes.

My LY6 is from a junkyard and I knew at a minimum I would take it down to the short block. At that point, just cam swap it. Didn't care to **** around with VVT.

Overall I like it. Initially no strictly because of the tune. With a 4x4, auto and a K&N (now gone) I'm 300 & 300 at the rear wheels with 87. There's definitely more there, but it's a lot of fun in the dirt right now and so I'd rather put money into the suspension, etc.

I just purchased the cam kit through BTR which included springs. I didn't opt for pushrods. Their gasket kit has everything too, save for I think valve cover grommets. Overall very easy with everything I purchased through them.

One thing to note is the injectors. I used the ones from my 5.3 because they flow more. Check out onallcylinders.com

I currently have a BBP tune for the 5.3 in my Yukon now, so I'll try to stick with that for continuity.

I just ordered a Truck Norris cam, and will be deleting the VVT from my LY6. Even though the factory LY6 valve springs are allegedly good enough for the cam, I'm going to replace those as well. It's been a crash course learning about all this stuff, but it's been fun.

I guess the LY6 is the one to get, if you can... it's basically a 6.0 LS3 with an iron block and taller intake manifold (that flows the same as an LS3 intake).

My concern is also for how the brakes will feel after, but that's a problem for future me.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I currently have a BBP tune for the 5.3 in my Yukon now, so I'll try to stick with that for continuity.

I just ordered a Truck Norris cam, and will be deleting the VVT from my LY6. Even though the factory LY6 valve springs are allegedly good enough for the cam, I'm going to replace those as well. It's been a crash course learning about all this stuff, but it's been fun.

I guess the LY6 is the one to get, if you can... it's basically a 6.0 LS3 with an iron block and taller intake manifold (that flows the same as an LS3 intake).

My concern is also for how the brakes will feel after, but that's a problem for future me.
You're on your way, my friend! Get it!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajdahl8660