Tahoe Z71 renovation project - Suspension and Brakes Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The Raven

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I almost traded my NNBS Tahoe Z71 in back in February because I had a ton of GM card points to use and the Tahoe needed some TLC. Unfortunately i'm not a big fan of the new Tahoes nor spending near $70k for one and I just wasn't happy with anything smaller. Got real close to a deal on a new LT Trail Boss but I backed out because i've never been a big fan of pickups. So i've decided i'm going to invest some money into the Tahoe and hold onto it for at least another 3 years. The idea is not to build the ultimate Tahoe - just to bring my NNBS more up-to-date with many of the now-available features that the GMT900 didn't offer.

I've got a bunch of threads detailing the different phases of the project - this is the suspension and brakes thread.

This was the catalyst for the whole year really. I knew my ball joints were shot and then I started experiencing a loud THUNK whenever the front wheels hit a bump in the road. I knew I was going to have to put quite a bit of work/money into the suspension so I considered trading up. But, as mentioned above, I decided to keep her and dive into a year of upgrades and fixes. Besides fixing the issues with the suspension I also wanted a small lift to bring the Tahoe up to the height of modern OEM offroad packages. I was always annoyed by how the newer bone-stock Rams/F150s/Silverados made the Tahoe feel like a minivan when they pulled up next to me. I knew i'd only need a couple of inches at most so I aimed for a 2" front 1" rear setup.

I originally settled on Bilstein 5100's, and actually ordered them. But during the teardown process I realized that Bilstein counts on you being able to re-use your factory spring perches...which is pretty ridiculous...mine were rust-welded to the shocks. In setting out to order replacements I learned that the perches aren't offered separately, only with new shocks. WTF Bilstein? Really? That, combined with the reported really-harsh ride of the 5100's and the reported failures of the c-clips that support the perches led to my decision to go with the slightly more expensive Ranchos. They came fully assembled with springs, perches, isolators and mounts.

This was a big project:

- Rancho RS9000XL front coilovers and rear shocks
- Moog LCAs and UCAs
- Moog Outer tie rods
- Moog Front Sway Bar links
- Moog rear stabilizer links
- CCM 1" rear lift pucks
- Powerstop Evolution front and rear brake kits

Who doesn't love the day all the new toys arrive?

20190206_172641.jpg

Didn't have the brakes in this pic because I didn't know i'd be doing them yet.

So here we go - before:

20190202_162507.jpg

And what a frikin nightmare it was. Everything was rusted to everything else. The only tools that actually worked for disassembly were my angle grinder, sawzall, and cutting torch. I basically just had to cut all the bolts off because they had completely fused together with whatever they were holding.

During this miserable process I decided to do something about the rust so I stopped the suspension work with the truck apart and put a couple days into cleaning up the front half of the frame and coating it in POR15.

20190206_172617.jpg

It took me three days (two weekend days and one weekday evening) to tear it down, two weekday evenings to POR15 the frame, and then about three hours to put it all back together. Ha.

All pretty again:

20190206_212239.jpg

The day I reassembled it:

20190209_130510.jpg

It was initially a 2.5" lift up front and a 1.75" lift in the rear. But it settled out to a 2.25" front and 1.25" rear within a week. Pretty much exactly what I was going for - i'm now right at eye level with the drivers of those newer pickups.

The RS9000's are adjustable and I love that feature. I've settled on a setting of 5 front and 4 rear. Going higher makes the ride harsher and more unsettled, going lower makes it floaty and bob-y.

OP
OP
T

The Raven

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So about a week after I got the suspension re-assembled, I started hearing a squealing from my front brakes. I knew exactly what it was and many of you will too - the pad abutment brackets had corroded where the pad clips seat and basically locked the pads in place so they couldn't retract properly, so they were skimming along the rotor when the brakes were not applied. I initially was just going to clean up the brackets real good but then I saw the price for the Powerstop Evolution kits which come with brand new (red!) calipers, rotors, pads, and hardware. I decided I might as well just go all the way if I was going to take it apart again.

The before pic is basically the after pic in the suspension post.

All done:

20190505_111931.jpg 20190505_111935.jpg

So pretty.

So there you have it. Suspension and brakes.

Oh, and for those who haven't read my other threads on the 2019 renovation, here's how she stands today:

20190714_152915.jpg

Last edited:

The_Burban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice! Brakes all around were the first thing I did to mine. After ten years of road salt, it is easy enough - and wise - to take care of such an important system. New brake rotors, pads, calipers, soft line, fluid.

Shop sold me two left front calipers however. Couldn't get the system to bleed. That was a head scratcher. I even asked at the store, affirming indeed the same part numbers.

The_Burban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Revisiting this to counter the claim the 5100s are harsh; Idisagree. This is a tough thing to talk about as all can experience the same ride differently. I come from the car world. I had a very lowered station wagon where a cracked oil pan was not out of the question, angling out of any driveway was necessary and you always would scrape on a trip.

With 5100s front and back, they look and ride. great. Fronts are at lowest, stock setting. The ride is firm and just a bit less luxurious as my 19 Tahoe.

I also did sway links and front Sway bar Bushings.

The vehicle doesn't rattle over bumps. The steering is tighter.

I wish I had down the CAs and all like you did!

OP
OP
T

The Raven

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Revisiting this to counter the claim the 5100s are harsh; Idisagree. This is a tough thing to talk about as all can experience the same ride differently. I come from the car world. I had a very lowered station wagon where a cracked oil pan was not out of the question, angling out of any driveway was necessary and you always would scrape on a trip.

Yes, I had a Lingenfelter WS6 with Hotchkis progressive springs and custom valved 4600's, and then a ZO6 with Strano springs and Konis...and in comparison to those two race-oriented suspensions, 5100's on a Tahoe are not harsh at all.

But that's a pretty terrible comparison. The Tahoe is a truck. It's suspension has nothing in common with race cars, and it needs to do completely different things completely differently than race cars. For a truck suspension, the 5100's are very harsh. If you are building a suspension for primarily off-road use, or you tow and haul most of the time, then the advantages of the stiffer suspension will outweigh the disadvantages. But for a truck used mostly on paved and gravel roads that occasionally tows and hauls, the 5100s are not the best choice. That's not even addressing how much of a PITA they are to install.

The_Burban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are comfy to me. Wife likes 'em. Kids don't complain.

You support my stance. What is good for one, can be bad for another.

I gravitate towards the Bilstein label with my previous dealings. I am happy here, too.

OP
OP
T

The Raven

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are comfy to me. Wife likes 'em. Kids don't complain.

You support my stance. What is good for one, can be bad for another.

I gravitate towards the Bilstein label with my previous dealings. I am happy here, too.

I've had great experiences with Bilstein in the past also. I've used them on several vehicles with great results. I just don't like the 5100's in this particular application.

The_Burban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had great experiences with Bilstein in the past also. I've used them on several vehicles with great results. I just don't like the 5100's in this particular application.
I'd like to see how comfy these ranchos are! I like the lift they give!!

OP
OP
T

The Raven

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd like to see how comfy these ranchos are! I like the lift they give!!

Well I wouldn't call them "comfy" exactly. They're adjustable, so you can make the truck ride like anything from a Monster Cup car to an '88 Cadillac if you want. I have mine set at 5f/4r which is just a tad stiffer than the stock Z71 suspension. If I set my shocks in the 7-8 click range they'd feel just like the 5100's. I had them as low as 3 clicks which was a real nice ride but resulted in a little more body roll than I like.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
George ramos